Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 03-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #11
carl20
Hatchling

your lucky pete, one of mine looks like it has a face wound from a bite, it isnt affecting him so im just keeping an eye out and keeping it clean but im worried i wont be able to keep the little two if they dont grow out of this biting, they bite my finger whenever i put it in the enclosure.
carl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
sandy
Adult

Just make sure you have some diluted betadine or the like, for any injuries that might need
cleaning and sterilising.
Some tortoises are just face biters.
Maybe the enclosure is not big enough for them. Having experienced this with one of my female iberas
earlier this year, who had up to then been placid. They were still in the greenhouse and the temps were
getting hotter, when I looked at one of my smaller females she had a bitten nose. So I kept an eye on
them. I was shocked to see her biting the others nose. So decided to put them in their outside enclosure.
I have not had any problems since. They have now more space to get away from each other.
Just a thought.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 PM   #13
carl20
Hatchling

thanks sandy, in proportion i think they have plenty of room at the mo. There enclosure is 4ft by 4ft so that is 16 square feet between 3 three month torts and one 11month tort, that is 4square feet each.

Although if u disagree please let me know.

They are too small for a permanant outdoor enclosure, especially up here in boro it is always cold on a night.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:29 AM   #14
aprillinda

in the lost posts someone gave me great advice as to how much room a tort needs

eg measure the tort and x by so many square feet

can anybody remember this info please

at the time my duaghter said i will write this down but i said its ok we can still look it up
then we lost the info

surely sumbody can tell me

like the minimum size encl;osue them i can buil;d on this info

thanks linda
Old 04-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #15
LV426
Egg

I have all of my species separated but all are housed together. 8 Greeks with greeks, 7 russians with russians and so on and I never have fighting. Maybe I am lucky but I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I have overturned flower pot hides and various logs and such to break up line of sight. If one gets aggressive the other can go behind the log or into a hide to escape torment. Once they cant see each other they seem to cease caring about the others. Mostly its my males that just want to get it on with the girls. The biggest injury was a lost nail on one of my russian girls from Bishop the male wanting love. Try providing things that can break up the straight views of the tortoises so they cant always see one another.

They say there is more to life than tortoises, "they" have never had a tortoise.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #16
carl20
Hatchling

i have afew hides and plantpots, the odd thing is they fight and bite each other and then later on they all go in one hide and sleep together