Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #1
Dazza
Adult

Default New Mega-Ray Raptor

Hi Guys,

We are back in town with the new improved Mega-Ray Raptor bulbs.

I know lots of you have had issues with the bad glass and the flickering bulbs.
Well, we have teamed up with a Solar Raptor in Germany and have been working on design improvements to the German bulb for some months now.

We nailed the spread of UV back end of last year and got straight into production, we have been sending these bulbs out since early Jan and we have had no issues with flickering or early failure.

In these though times we have also reduced the price to help a little on the expense of keeping our animals with UV.

Another important point these are true wattage bulbs so what we are saying is a 100w and 160w are what they say, so many bulbs i have tested are not 100w - i have test 100w bulbs and the have in fact 160w.

100w

http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...ted-p-145.html

160w

http://www.kimbosreptileworld.co.uk/...amp-p-127.html

whats more we have dedicated customer service manager now to deal with any issues.

Anyone who has old issues please contact jo@megaray.co.uk you will be dealt with very fast indeed.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support in the past, i am personally very greateful

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Evie
Sub Adult

Great news Darren - I will definately be ordering one.

Anne

Last edited by Evie; 08-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Kirkie
Adult

Hi Darren,

Can you confirm what Bob Mac was saying on the Solarmeter owners Yahoo group that these bulbs, due to their true wattage, run a little cooler than other bulbs and may require an additional heat source to produce a suitable basking spot temperature whilst staying within safe UVB levels?

Have you seen this at all in testing?
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Dazza
Adult

Yes, this is true, because they are true wattage they may run a little cooler.

However, i am using these over my Egyptians in open top tortoise table in the house and i am finding basking spots of 32 degrees.

Depending on your electric supply, the bulbs are set to run stable at 220v, here in the UK at the Farm i get 240v, my reptile room 230v and can fluctuate depending on the time of day so expect them to run hotter when 240v goes through them and cooler when 230v this will be the same for all lights to be honest the voltage goes up and down during the day so the heat, and uv will also fluctuate a small amount.

Of course as you would expect we test the bulbs at both extremes and they are well within safe limits.

Darren
Old 08-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #5
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

I've been running a new MR 160 watt. Mine has high uvb output. I am using this in tandem with a 100 watt halogen lamp on a dimming thermostat. This combination seems to work well in my setup. I also have some reptisun 2 tubes for general light.

I am happy with the new megaray I have. Some keepers might not need additional heat if they have a higher ambient temp or keep their torts cooler than I do. The lamp I got worked well straight out of the box with no flickering.

I personally think It's very helpful to have a uvb meter and accurate thermometer when using any product like this one.

Last edited by Ozric Jonathan; 08-03-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Ozric Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

It's good to know there's more than one decent bulb out there
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
Dazza
Adult

The combination of the halogen and the Mega-ray is spot on this gives the animals a change to photo and thermo regulate properly, and will give you much close the nature circulating D3 levels.

Darren
Old 15-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
jodie
Hatched

Silly question but I have just ordered a mega ray 100w sb and was wondering if an Exoterra solar glow clamp lamp is suitable to hold it or is this not classed as a dome?
jodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

if you mean the exo-terra glowlight lamp holders then I use those and have used them with a variety of bulbs. remember all the mercury vapour bulbs should hang vertically, so a clamp lamp should be positioned for that
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
jodie
Hatched

Yes sorry that is the lamp i had meant to say! Very surprised after fitting the mega ray bulb a bright area of white light is visible on the substrate is this normal? or is the bulb too close? I have positioned the bulb 30 cm away from top of my tortoises shell as bulb box recommends ( unfortunately no manual was included as stated on box). Thanks for the help.

Jodie
jodie is offline   Reply With Quote