Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #1
Hazel
Juvenile

Default Your first tort

Just wondering about everyone's first tort? what kind was it, how long ago was it, what made you decide to get a tort etc? Thought it might make an interesting thread
Old 14-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
alicia
Adult

my first tortoise was when i was 13, i had wanted a tortoise from about 4 years old so when me and my mum moved off the isle of wight and had more room so i saved up my dinner money for it lol.

it was a horsefield from a pet shop, i called her diasy but i didn't have her very long.

i sold her as my sister kept on about how much money ive wasted because it doesn't do anything
also it was nearing hibernation and i think i felt i couldn't do anything right for her and it was too much responsibility.

i wish i had kept her but she did go to some one on this site who i know looks after her.

after doing alot more reaserch and getting a job i decided i would like to try the tortoise keeping again, so i saved up my work money and got my leopard tortoise Bobby

alice. xx

0.0.2 graeca ibera
alicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Zen is my 1st tort who i got back in May last year. I really wanted to get 2 but hubby said one was plenty , i fell in love with torts when they came into work, and enjoyed nursing them back to health, but because i was doing long hours it didnt feel right at that time.

Since then i gave up work to be a sahm and the rest is history!
On a good note though hubby really likes Zen and has said i can get another tort, (he is really fascinated by Zen) so i have been in contact with the person i got Zen from and she will contact me in the summer if she has any at that time, so very excited!!! Will call the next one Buddha i think!!!

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
lindso3000
Adult

Send a message via MSN to lindso3000

My first tort is hector horsfield. I'd always wanted a tort and as a kid had a big interest in reptiles and dinosaurs (still have)
A tortoise is the closest I can get to a dinosaur and I love them!
Then I got George horsfield, then my redfoots, then rescued bowser horsfield!
Thankfully Joel loves them too

Last edited by lindso3000; 14-01-2009 at 12:59 PM.
lindso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
helen1
Sub Adult

My first tortoise...not as a child....was when I was 16 in 1968....he was my responsibility solely.
I still have him now......he is a magnificient male ibera weighing in at around 2.7kg....never been ill....never been a worry....
Old 14-01-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
CJ
Sub Adult

My first tortoise was Freda (very original!!) when I was about 11, so that's about 30 years ago!! We had her for about 8 years but then she died in hibernation. I'd always wanted another one, but could never justify spending the money needed to buy one and set up a home for it, until we moved house a couple of years ago! We had lots of money left over for doing up the house, but decided I could justify spending some of a tortoise!! So we got Charlie the horsfield! Hmmm, then a few months later got another one, Ruby!! And now I'm thinking I might like another one!
CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

I had my first tort nearlly 30 years ago. Hid name was Peter unitl he laid eggs in the garden the we called her Sheila. I loved her to bits and I followed her everywhere crouched down low. I was only young but can still remember her pooing down my dress when I carried her into the house She died in hibernation too. We did not know the things we do now about torts. I really wish I still had her. She definitely left an impression on me, but I resisted buying a tort until 4 years ago for my son. Who should I say quickly lost interest, but I haven't
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
TortMad
Adult

I got my first tortoise over 5 years ago, he came from a petshop who said he was 18 months old (don't they all)

Freddie is a horsfield tortoise and the start of my chelonia inspired madness

I had always wanted a tortoise from as far back as I could imagine, He would be a male and called Freddie and he is.

I never expected to have more than one, or find myself weed picking in the pouring rain, ah I left that bit out of my childhood fantasy lol

2.1.0 testudo horsfeldii
0.2.0 testudo graeca ibera
2.0.0 geochelone pardalis babcocki

http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/
TortMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
ME SHELL
Adult

Send a message via AIM to ME SHELL

Kelly forgot to say that is one gorgeous pic of Dandilion. He is stunning, even though he is poking his tongue out of me
ME SHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 09:21 PM   #10
Sylvia1
Adult

My dad brought home my first 2 torts (Marginateds I now think) about 41 years ago when I was 10. I saved up my pocket money and eventually bought 2 more. I also bought a tiny little booklet on the care of tortoises which said to oil their shells with a little olive oil on cotton wool - available from chemists (which I did). I also used to feed them tomatoes (their favourite food). They were hibernated in packing cases in straw in an unheated shed. I couldn't wait for Spring when they would be up & about again. At that time, it was advised that you wipe the torts mouth with moistened cotton wool and if they wouldn't eat, put a couple drops of brandy in their mouth to stimulate! I even had some eggs which I put in an old biscuit tin in the airing cupboard but sadly they didn't hatch! I eventually had to give them to friends of my Ex as we were moving to a house without a suitable garden. If only I still had them.........

I do cringe when I think what advice there was around at the time. For those interested, I remember their poo was really really 'loose', unlike my torts now.

3 hermanns, 2 leopards, 2 german shepherds, 5 cats, 3 tropical tanks

Last edited by Sylvia1; 14-01-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote