Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 25-05-2016, 09:41 PM   #61
CherryBrandy
Adult

Coconut oil can be absorbed into the system, even with humans its one of the most absorbed substances if used on the skin which is why it works so well. (ie doesn't sit on the top of skin). not sure I would use on tortoises and I would be worried they would fry under the heat. I use it a lot in cooking and soups. What did the kangaroo man use on those wombats to oil the skin to keep it drying out?
(Jan you make me laugh...watchful eye !! nothing can get into your enclosure without wire cutters !!! I am going to name it Fort ...Tort Knox!!.
Old 26-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #62
SuziRed71
Egg

I agree feels intrinsically wrong to put anything other than water on the shell.. I could be wrong but I've seen a lot of promotion of coconut oil on Facebook groups, however, the guy promoting it I believe sells it too.. But being in sales myself, makes me sceptical of his data..
SuziRed71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 08:21 PM   #63
Jan W
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
Coconut oil can be absorbed into the system, even with humans its one of the most absorbed substances if used on the skin which is why it works so well. (ie doesn't sit on the top of skin). not sure I would use on tortoises and I would be worried they would fry under the heat. I use it a lot in cooking and soups. What did the kangaroo man use on those wombats to oil the skin to keep it drying out?
(Jan you make me laugh...watchful eye !! nothing can get into your enclosure without wire cutters !!! I am going to name it Fort ...Tort Knox!!.
Great name for my new enclosure. Great idea for a name plate for the visiting children to make half term.

Think you made a really good point about coconut oil and frying. My first trip abroad and some kind person told her to put olive oil on our skins to soften the skin so it did not get burnt - I had little blisters all over my shoulders. Just does not seem a good idea and as you say they can absorb anything applied.
Old 27-05-2016, 09:14 PM   #64
CherryBrandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan W View Post
Great name for my new enclosure. Great idea for a name plate for the visiting children to make half term.

Think you made a really good point about coconut oil and frying. My first trip abroad and some kind person told her to put olive oil on our skins to soften the skin so it did not get burnt - I had little blisters all over my shoulders. Just does not seem a good idea and as you say they can absorb anything applied.
ive heard that before Jan ! must of been Greece ! maybe same person told friend of mine in Greece...ohhh use Vaseline ! boof ! I thought it was quite funny of course ! Rhubard features all week, you live , you learn ! CB