Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 19-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Zen
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Zen

It's very rare that i see Zen drinking, but torts absorb water through the cloaca also.
Thats why bathing is so great.

Rachael & Zen (THB)
'Show gratitude to every living thing'
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
ThomasClan
Hatched

Mine just play in their water bowl,trouncing in and out of it.When they bathe they do not look like they drink, but as they can take water up their back passage I take it that is what my lot must do, as they are well hydrated. My weeds are normally wet as I wash them first so they get moisture from them too. There are many ways a tortoise gets hydrated so do not worry, only worry if their urates are gritty then maybe longer soaks and cucumber (not as nutrition just as hydration)

I think I just ditto what everyont else has said, good luck with your tortoises.
Jay JRT Old lady of 16 (17 this year)
Bilbo the Rabbit old man 9 years
Oh and the Hamsters Thunder and Lightning (I must be mad)
ThomasClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda View Post
i found it was less stressful to bath the tort in something they cant see out of

eg a dark cloured washing up bowl
Yeah, I have you to thank for that tip Linda because our ones just wanted out all the time. I also realised that the water had to be much warmer than I had been using in the baths, once I had that sussed they now sit for 20 minutes, drink, do their 'business, then start the scratching to get out
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #14
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

I now bathe my tort in the kitchen sink. He seems to prefer it to a bowl as he gets to have a wander round while splashing about. Although, i now spend my time disinfecting the sink when i get my tort out!
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
jenc
Incubating

mine only drink when no one is there and they stop as soon as they are watched
jenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
shafach
Juvenile

my two do like a drink, tho as others have suggested i also wash their weeds and give them the odd bit of cucumber... they also seem to enjoy a bath, tho this week they are playing funny torts... put them in their flowerpot saucers to bathe - always Mikey to the right, Ralph to the left, then off i go to get ready for work, pick weeds etc... three days over the last week or so they have swapped baths ?? my hubbie has already left for work, so know it ain't him trying to be funny.... am sure those torts are wind up merchants

two hermanns - Mikey and Ralph
two moggies -Kenny and Roisin
one hamster -Trev
shafach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #17
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

YOu know what? I have just seen Fluffy actually get into his water dish and drink for the first time ever and i have had him 7 months! So i wouldnt worry too much, as long as you give yours a bath, it should stay hydrated!
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
chris3012
Incubating

Default keano luvs to drink

I must be one of the lucky ones, keano gets out of his bed, basks under his lamp then trots of to find water dish (large flower pot saucer filled with pebbles ) and has a good gulp. Then has is usual wander round table and back for another drink. He hates his bath and at the most will only be still for 2 minutes then climbing the wall to be out. So the other day after his first couple of gulps I cleaned the water dish.... but put in lukewarm water.......Result when he went back in he looked up as if to say....hang on this is different and just sprawled out and enjoined his warm soak, was there a good 15 minutes.
chris3012 is offline   Reply With Quote