Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #1
Mr Brown
Egg

Default Sulcata Pics

thought i`d share these pics with you , I was amazed at how chilled out they are and what nice personalaties they have.

they are a real credit to their owner.

Cheers Gary
Mr Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #2
Mr Brown
Egg

a few more.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
n236kfl
Incubating

Send a message via MSN to n236kfl
Talking

wow these are super photos of a group of torts who are the third largest in the world,i have considered buying a sulcata for a while now, just got to convince hubby to give up his shed and build another pen in the garden, where was the photos taken?
Horsefields :Rosy, Jim
Sulcata :Mable
Yeman Chameleon :Olly
Bearded Dragons :Harry, Sally (+ lots of babies)
Water Dragon :Emerald
Green Tree Skink
web site www.reptileplanet.co.uk (internet explorer)
n236kfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
ingisim
Hatched

What impressive animals - truly beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Two kids, two cats - Herbie Hermann arrived 28th October 2008
ingisim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #5
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

This is from an American site, but is quite good to do.

http://www.turtlehomes.org/usa/test.shtml
Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M
Thumbs up

Aww.. I love sulcatas!! I can't wait until i have my own place with a huge garden then i can keep a couple of these beauties! Luckily i have my bf prior consent. I just need to get it in writing lol
Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 AM   #7
Lolly8
Adult

Wow!They are so lovely!Great pictures!
Lolly8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #8
sandy
Adult

Sorry its one of the speices I dont think should be kept in the UK. Unless you have pots of money and acres of land.
Too many come up for rehoming, once they have started damaging property, and keepers cant afford to keep them. Which for the tortoises sake is so sad.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #9
Mr Brown
Egg

n236kfl They were taken at a house where I went to pick up a 1year old tortoise bred by the owners. Jointly they own some show stopping torts.
they are both respected tortoise keepers and truly care for the beauties they own.

thanks for the positive comments as the torts in the pics are amazing in the flesh.

Laraine you said it ( American ) I feel that it is more of a brag " look at what mine can do."
There are 11 adult sulcatas in this group , do you think if the environment is correct for the tort it would not do all the bad things they are meant to do ?

the garden and 2 big enclosures they have are making them very happy , my 2 young children have hand fed them twice with no problems.

sandy do you think someone with 6 tort tables and 6 lights with 6 runs out side would feel 1 or 2 sulcatas would use more electricity and need more space ?

please don`t think i`m arguing or dissing your views , we all have different views and that is what pushes the envelope.

thanks again for your comments

Gary
Old 09-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerTots View Post
n236kfl They were taken at a house where I went to pick up a 1year old tortoise bred by the owners. Jointly they own some show stopping torts.
they are both respected tortoise keepers and truly care for the beauties they own.

thanks for the positive comments as the torts in the pics are amazing in the flesh.

Laraine you said it ( American ) I feel that it is more of a brag " look at what mine can do."
There are 11 adult sulcatas in this group , do you think if the environment is correct for the tort it would not do all the bad things they are meant to do ?

the garden and 2 big enclosures they have are making them very happy , my 2 young children have hand fed them twice with no problems.

sandy do you think someone with 6 tort tables and 6 lights with 6 runs out side would feel 1 or 2 sulcatas would use more electricity and need more space ?

please don`t think i`m arguing or dissing your views , we all have different views and that is what pushes the envelope.

thanks again for your comments

Gary

Hi Gary, I mentioned the site, as no UK site has the Sulcata Quiz on, well none I have looked at. I think it is very relevant and people should do the quiz before they think about taking on a Sulcata. I have a rehomed Sully who is small at the moment, her owner got fed up with her very early on. Sandy and Ann made very relevant points. Some people, not all, see a big tortoise as a kind of trophy "look what I have" but at the same time dont have the space or the money to look after one of these. They really do have to consider how to get it to the vets when it gets big and heavy, or if your vet will do a house-call to your tortoise. One thing for sure is that it wont fit in a cardboard box on the back seat.
I think all tortoises are wonderful, its just sometimes a minority of owners don't take the time to carefully consider their decision and have enough knowledge and consideration for the creature they are taking on.