Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 18-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #1
Devillady77
Egg

Default Horsefield egg. Fertile or not.

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, my horsefield tortoise laid her first and seems to be only egg on 14/3/17, it doesn't seem to be doing an awful lot, I'm assuming it is possibly infertile, what should I be looking for, it is still pinkish in colour and has a bubble inside but has no veins or black areas which I've read there should be by now.
Could someone give me some advice as this is my first time. The egg is being incubated at around 30 degrees.
Will welcome any advice.
Devillady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 01:30 AM   #2
burnt toast
Adult

I'm sorry it does sound infertile. Fertile eggs are very white (later turn greyer) but with lots of veins when you candle them. The embryo can be seen as a kind of pink "jelly bean"! With a black eye clearly visible.

Is it possible for you to get a picture of it in the dark with a torch shining on it please?
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 02:09 AM   #3
Devillady77
Egg

Default Fertile or infertile

Thanks for getting back to me, I have taken a picture of the egg however have tried to upload on here but can't seem to figure it out, could you tell me how to do it
Many thanks
Karen
Devillady77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #4
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devillady77 View Post
Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, my horsefield tortoise laid her first and seems to be only egg on 14/3/17, it doesn't seem to be doing an awful lot, I'm assuming it is possibly infertile, what should I be looking for, it is still pinkish in colour and has a bubble inside but has no veins or black areas which I've read there should be by now.
Could someone give me some advice as this is my first time. The egg is being incubated at around 30 degrees.
Will welcome any advice.
I would recommend going on with the incubation, as its all a good learning experience for the future.
We can help tell you things, but there is nothing like going through it all. And keeping a record of things.
I have been hatching eggs for over 25yrs, and still am not 100% sure if an egg is fertile or not. Some are really obvious, but others certainly are not:0)
I would also in the future incubate at around 31.5c to 32c as there is more of a chance of females hatching. At 30c males will be incubated.
And you need four at least females to one male:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
burnt toast
Adult

http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=29355

Hope this helps
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote