Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #11
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiec View Post
That enclosure is phenomenal! The tortoises are gorgeous too - what ratio do you keep them in (M/F)? If more than one male are they alright to share the same enclosure? Also I wasn't sure if Cherries and northerns would be alright to co-inhabit so that's pleasing
Robbie, I have 3 males and 7 females. Cherries are 1 male and 2 females. Yes they can cohabitate, but if you want to keep a pure species best not to, I think eventually I'm going to split the cherries from northerns. This enclosure was only completed 2 months ago. Still some to do. It's set at 28/29°c. The caves are at about 25°c. Humidity is off the scale, have s rain system in there too.
I'll post photos of my hatchling tomorrow. Do you live in the uk? I'll also post photos of outdoor area tomorrow.
You probably won't know the sex of yours until they are about 8" in size. Males can live together as long as there is enough females.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #12
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Incredible enclosure!

Beautiful torts x
Thank you Rowan. Is there a like button on this forum?
Old 06-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #13
Robbiec
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
Robbie, I have 3 males and 7 females. Cherries are 1 male and 2 females. Yes they can cohabitate, but if you want to keep a pure species best not to, I think eventually I'm going to split the cherries from northerns. This enclosure was only completed 2 months ago. Still some to do. It's set at 28/29°c. The caves are at about 25°c. Humidity is off the scale, have s rain system in there too.
I'll post photos of my hatchling tomorrow. Do you live in the uk? I'll also post photos of outdoor area tomorrow.
You probably won't know the sex of yours until they are about 8" in size. Males can live together as long as there is enough females.
Thanks a lot for the info Craig. So there is a chance I wouldn't need to split my two if they were both male but then I would need to get like five females :P

Yes I live in the UK (Nottingham) - I assume you do also? You have a hatchling also? So cute - I like the Cherries but I'm in love with the Northerns so would probably keep them pure - but who knows in the future :P

I want to build an outdoor enclosure like yours but wouldn't know where to start. I don't need to do so yet but I will do in a summer or two ready for when they're too big for their viv!

Robbie
Robbiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:07 AM   #14
emma_mcraf
Adult

Such amazing photos. Gorgeous torts and what a fabulous home for them. You've worked hard on it. Thanks for sharing.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #15
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Such amazing photos. Gorgeous torts and what a fabulous home for them. You've worked hard on it. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Emma.
Old 07-08-2016, 12:31 AM   #16
Anyfoot
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbiec View Post
Thanks a lot for the info Craig. So there is a chance I wouldn't need to split my two if they were both male but then I would need to get like five females :P

Yes I live in the UK (Nottingham) - I assume you do also? You have a hatchling also? So cute - I like the Cherries but I'm in love with the Northerns so would probably keep them pure - but who knows in the future :P

I want to build an outdoor enclosure like yours but wouldn't know where to start. I don't need to do so yet but I will do in a summer or two ready for when they're too big for their viv!

Robbie
Yeah, I'm in Sheffield , so not to far.

This enclosure is 300sq ft. I started with an old outside toilet, I live in a very old house. We knocked it diwn and cleaned every brick. What a nightmare it was, but well worth it. Then hired a builder to rebuild for me out of the old bricks. It's fully insulated with a cavity wall, inside walls are made of thermal blocks, not that expensive. Wish I had building skills, I'm an engineer. My next project is to build something for my homeana hingebacks. Thinking a fully insulated upvc shed. This could be done for a smaller herd if reds too. I'll start a thread soon on how I built this. The caves were made of all sorts of rubble, dirt cheap to do. All the paint I used was chlorinated rubber paint, it's swimming pool paint, so it copes with high humidity.
BTW I have a clutch of 9 in the incubator(northerns) see what happens, your welcome to some if they hatch.
Your right to stick with northerns, my male cherryhead is only just reaching sexual maturity so I know I'm safe for now with the northerns.
What do you feed for protein?
Old 07-08-2016, 12:54 AM   #17
Anyfoot
Incubating

some photos of the outdoor side of my enclosure, these are photos of when I first built t early this year, its now well grown with foliage, torts love it.

833_zps438tvbdc.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 AM   #18
Anyfoot
Incubating

Old 07-08-2016, 12:28 PM   #19
CherryBrandy
Adult

Craig,
wow that's amazing. what beautiful photographs and lovely settings. You put most conservation Parks to shame ! CB
Old 07-08-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
emma_mcraf
Adult

Well, I was blown away by the inside enclosure and now I've seen the outside area I think it's fantastic! Such lucky torts.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote