Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Caresheets/Links/Books

Old 11-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
herpderp
Egg

Exclamation Dietary Fibre in the diet of the Herbivorous Tortoise Testudo graeca graeca in Spain:

Hey, I know the Tortoise Trust is not the most popular in the tortoise keeping community but they seem to produce some interesting pieces of research from time to time, some gets posted onto their site and some makes it to their publications.
Recently they have posted an article about the importance of different types of dietary fibre in the diet of the spur thighed tortoise (Testudo graeca graeca). It highlights the shortcomings of supermarket and petshop foods in terms of digestability and nutritional content.
The dicussion section highlights some of the challenges with selecting the food plants chosen by the grazing tortoises due to the conditions the plants are selected under by the tortoise (dried and wetted repeatedly over time) as well as the conditions the plants were grown under (i.e the high calcium carbonate found in the soil in the regions of spain investigated) all cast doubts on the suitability of your typical store bought or self grown tortoise diets.
Interesting stuff to incorporate into your setups however because it seems tortoises in those regions are used to far higher than typical calcium in their diets.

Link to paper http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/dietaryfibre.html
herpderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Easter Bunny
Adult

I thought the tortoise trust was a good website to go on. Is it not then?
I was told by the breeder I got my two from that if I stick to their advice I can't go far wrong.

lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
herpderp
Egg

I've heard in alot of threads posted on reptile forums that the tortoise trust can be abit strange at times. Its true they do produce some very good literature however. I hope that they use the information they find to advise the industry on any changes they could make to the diets of tortoises
herpderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Colette
Egg

i have found a lot of advice on the tortoise trust helpful - and pretty much in line with advice given on shelled warriors

i think tho it is better to get advice about practicality of equipment and housing, as well as some great pics on this site rather than the tortoise trust as u can just ask, rather than wading through a lot of information to find out what u want to know (i know!! lazy option - but effective)
Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
I thought the tortoise trust was a good website to go on. Is it not then?
I was told by the breeder I got my two from that if I stick to their advice I can't go far wrong.

lynne x
Lots of good stuff on it and many people keep their torts by the info on there alone. I also used to go by that until I discovered there are other points of view and different ways of doing things. It's a bit like going through all your school years being taught by the same teacher, one point of view.

Also, things are changing all the time, new lighting, new foods even
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #6
Kirkie
Adult

Without the TT and people like Lin King there wouldn't be any online weed seed businesses with associated forums. Oh the irony.
Kirkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

.. and without the internet there wouldn't be any either
Old 12-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
Colette
Egg

and then there would still be loads of well meaning tortoise keepers doing the wrong thing

the internet revoution is so fantastic at enabling and empowering so many - and with more information you can choose to use it or disregard it - especially as more informed choices can be made through the experiences and trial and errors of so many others

AND THE INFORMATION IS FREE

so thanks to everyone who is willing to share advice and give encouragement

Colette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I was/am a hairdresser. The TT served me very very well doing an apprenticeship, It taught me the basics and a good understanding on how a tortoise works, and what it needs, and how to raise and keep a healthy tort. With that information I can now adapt to different hairstyles, which are changing and evolving all the time.

If you get me

Old 12-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi View Post
I was/am a hairdresser. The TT served me very very well doing an apprenticeship, It taught me the basics and a good understanding on how a tortoise works, and what it needs, and how to raise and keep a healthy tort. With that information I can now adapt to different hairstyles, which are changing and evolving all the time.

If you get me

I think I see what you are saying there Bindi, you served your time as a hairdresser with the TT and now you are capable of clipping hair in styles that Nicky Clarke could only dream about