Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
houseofcutler
Hatched

Default Whistling noise when breathing?

Hi guys,

On and off for a while now one or both of my torts will get a bit of a whistling sound when they are breathing. I have been googling for answers and found a range of explanations and variations of causes, descriptions and treatments, such is the world of the Internet.

There have been no periods where either tort has appeared unhealthy, inactive. They both eat and come running when they hear I am around (just for food from the hand of God not for me personally ) There is no discharge and last time I looked their eyes were fine, I will check them tomorrow.

Based on what I've read I don't think they are ill yet, but could these be early signs? Should I be worried?

I suppose really my question is what are the likely causes of disruption to their breathing? Could excessive dryness in the table be a problem? I have introduced a humid hide recently. This is a plastic container with sphagnum moss inside. They also get a bath most mornings.

The substrate at the moment is a mix of topsoil and coco coir, would something like tortoise life be better?

As this has been coming and going for a while I thought it is about time I looked into taking some action. Amy advice as always is very appreciated.

Also can anyone recommend a good vet in Birmingham or near by?

Thanks

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
SarahC
Hatched

I have 1 that does this has done for the past year or so is perfectly healthy other than she whistles but at least I know where she is I have 9 torts in total and only 1 that whistles!

Sarah

3:4:2 Herman
SarahC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
houseofcutler
Hatched

lol that's good to know Sarah.

Would be nice to know what causes it thought? I will be changing the substrate soon anyway and going for a tortoise life top - this doesn't seem to get as dusty as topsoil and the coco coir. It may make a difference it may not, will look nice though.

For the record just weighed the torts and (whistling) Rita came in at 442 and 12.6cm according to my spreadsheet that's a 0.22 so maybe she also needs a little less food for a bit.

Thanks

0.0.2 THB Slow Vincent Gonzales & Rita Queen of Speed
See my tortoises
Live Feed

Testudo Weight Recorder with Jackson calculation and graphs

houseofcutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
burnt toast
Adult

I have a whistler too! Female Herman, had her about 3 years & shes about 8. She has always done it! Been checked by vet & clean bill of health. Only cause I can think of is dry dusty substrate? happened to one of my others when I had the heating up due to it being so cold outside.

Re the tortoise life substrate - only my opinion but I would avoid it. Its quite dry anyway & I know someone who's adult tort ate it due to the white particles in it & got impacted/ prolapsed & unfortunately died
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
Suze65
Adult

My old male hermann has been a whistler on and of as long as I can remember, there's nothing wrong with him, don't know why he does it from time to time.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Easter Bunny
Adult

I have 1 female Hermann that whistles.....she seems healthy though
Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Lisamn
Hatchling

Hi, I'm not sure about the whistling but just wanted you to know that the tortoise life I use does get dry and dusty, just as much as top soil and coco coir.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Taszia
Hatchling

I find tortoise life awful for dust and drying out very quickly I am much happier with coco or topsoil . X

2 Dogs . Alfie. Riley.1 Cat . Lillyum.1Cockatoo. Cookey.2 baby THB . Geoffrey/Geoffreyna. Georgina/George.
Taszia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
Stellanne
Hatchling

A couple of my torts used to 'whistle'... But I found this stopped once they were outside 24/7 x x hugs x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:10 PM   #10
hazybazel
Egg

My female hermann has been whistling on and off for a few months now, so was checking to see if anyone else had come across this. Relieved I'm not then only concerned torty parent.