Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #21
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz9t9
its not ideal, but nor is our british weather

if she right then all 1481 SW members are cruel, not very likely is it?
Does that mean all SW members keep theri torts indoors? I don't. Who is this lady anyway?

Old 04-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #22
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joathome
I keep my 2 indoors and put them out at every given opotunity, at the moment thats a bit f a joke, i feel guilty as when i go to them Fredd comes hurtling over if to say are we going out now, i know torts originated from the wild but most torts now days wouldnt survive as well as the ones we all care for.

Jo
That's not true Jo. My torts live outdoors 24/7. They have improved healthwise since coming from indoor homes where they could no longer be cared for and all adults breed outside every year. I have no health problems with them, with the only vets visits for years, for 25 torts ,being for microchipping, a hatchling with an eye problem and xrays of a group of hatchlings following some numpty of a vet stating incorrectly that one of them was calcium deficient (waste of space and time). So to say that they would not survive as well as inside is not right at all.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #23
EJ
Adult

Why did I get the greatest chuckle out of this question??????? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzasmum
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz9t9
its not ideal, but nor is our british weather

if she right then all 1481 SW members are cruel, not very likely is it?
Does that mean all SW members keep theri torts indoors? I don't. Who is this lady anyway?
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 04-07-2007, 11:22 PM   #24
EJ
Adult

Sue... I didn't know you were a collector... cool.

Ummm... one question... can they walk on water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzasmum
That's not true Jo. My torts live outdoors 24/7. They have improved healthwise since coming from indoor homes where they could no longer be cared for and all adults breed outside every year. I have no health problems with them, with the only vets visits for years, for 25 torts ,being for microchipping, a hatchling with an eye problem and xrays of a group of hatchlings following some numpty of a vet stating incorrectly that one of them was calcium deficient (waste of space and time). So to say that they would not survive as well as inside is not right at all.
and
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #25
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pussygalore
mine have their heat lamp on for a few hours each day their houses are insulated and hold the temps very well , theres not been a day gone past when they haven,t ventured outside, they were out eating in the rain and felt warm to touch and obviously weren,t bothered by the rain, our temps outside have varied between 65 and 70f and when the sun does come out it feels a lot warmer, so I don,t think I,m being cruel by giving them a choice as they are comming out they are making that choice themselves so obviously aren,t feeling cold or bothered by the weather, they are shut up at night and their houses hold the heat lovely they have plenty of burying material and tuck themselves in for the night.
Agreed - when given the choice it is clear to see what they prefer. All my torts have laid twice this year and two are not gravid again. Nothing to do with me and on Monday between the showers most of mine were out and about and while showing a visitor around I demonstrated just how warm they were to the touch despite low temps out there. The same as you I count them in at night and as already m entioned they rarely need a vet, unlike many of the indoor torts we keep hearing about.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #26
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templer-nt
wonderfuly said, lets keep it at that just do your best for your tort, inside when cold and out in the sun when ever possible
But that is just the point it is not necessarily best to keep them in when cold. The tortoises shell isnot designed like our skin. If the sun is out it will warm up even on a cold day.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #27
wizzasmum

[quote="EJ"]That seems to be a common misunderstanding among certain circles...The rate at which a tortoise grows has nothing to do with shape. Another misunderstanding is that because a tortoise is pyramided it has MBD. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It seems odd though Ed that you seem to be in the minority with your views. There is rarely a post agreeing with your extreme views and some well know associations have actually banned you for posting harmful information!

Old 04-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #28
EJ
Adult

There are very few places where I'm allowed to state my point only because of the narrow mindedness of the list owners. It wasn't the organizations that banned me but the individuals that are in control... very big difference.

As to people agreeing with me... it's usually split about 50/50 which is a good statistical basis. Go back to the archives of the TT and count those that agreed with me and those that didn't.

Now days people agree with me off list because they are affraid or really can't be bothered with many of the control freaks that exist in this wonderful hobby.

No point in going any further because we've been here before.

[quote="wizzasmum"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
That seems to be a common misunderstanding among certain circles...The rate at which a tortoise grows has nothing to do with shape. Another misunderstanding is that because a tortoise is pyramided it has MBD. Nothing could be further from the truth.

It seems odd though Ed that you seem to be in the minority with your views. There is rarely a post agreeing with your extreme views and some well know associations have actually banned you for posting harmful information!
and
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #29
domino

the person who said it was tammie. on another forum

Old 05-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #30
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
the person who said it was tammie. on another forum
As you are quite aware Andrew B 1 (thought you were banned from here, obviously re-registered under a different name), Katie posted this at approx.10.40pm last night in reply to my post questioning whether she was referring to me:

"as in acutal face to face talking with a neighbours friend and so therfore did not mean you in any way , if that had been the case i would have stated i was on another forum"

So thank you for making this thread out as if I had called Katie cruel - but you ARE FULLY AWARE that I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING OF THE SORT - get your facts straight before trying to cause trouble. Clearly you are still really cheesed over my point blank refusal to let you rehome a leopard. GROW UP.

As you say ...... END OF.

Tamie

ps. When writing my name have the decency to SPELL it correctly.
Closed Thread