Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 20-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Pies
Hatched

Default HAMM , the view from an exhibition contractor - PLEASE READ

Well folks, I have read a good deal of the “HAMM” thread and would like to put you all straight on a few points.

First let me point out that I am an Exhibitions & Events freelance contractor. I work in the UK & Europe on events of a wide variety; some examples:-

Conferences – ACPO (Association of Chief Police Officers), NAHT (National Association of Head Teachers), COT (College of Occupational Therapists) etc.

Trade only exhibitions – PETEX (Petroleum Exploration) Pure Womenswear, NADEX, Biometrics. Grove Fuel, PPT, Futura, Harrogate Home & Gift, Top Drawer, Premier Kids etc.

Public Shows – Motor Show, Furniture Show, Crufts, Equis, International Horse Jumping Championships, Stone Show, Homes Overseas, Special Needs, London Edge etc.

When I start on a show, there is an empty venue, when I finish, there is an empty venue.

I point this out so you can see that I understand the events industry & see the workings of the parts of the event that you do not, i.e. the build-up and break-down.

I will admit that I am biased toward Darren’s views on the protection of tortoises (and all other animals, for that matter); however, regardless of my stance, I can tell you that an event such as HAMM is not the place for reptiles.

The first problem is in the long distance transport (usually by road). How can the animals be kept at a suitable temperature? Many do not absorb ambient heat efficiently, if at all. They need heat lamps, which cannot be run off a 12/24 volt battery. If you have seen, as I have, how utterly unsuitable and unreliable many of the vehicles used for such transport are and the way they are loaded and driven you would not wonder why there is so much damage to stands & exhibits.

The next problem is getting in to the venue. Traffic Managers will hold vehicles in a marshalling area until there is room for the vehicle to go in to the off-loading area. This can often be several hours. Once at the off-loading area, it is amazing to see how many exhibitors do not have the means to get the goods from the vehicle to the stand. There may be an appointed logistics contractor on site, but they want paying for the work they do. The organisers or venue don’t pay them, they get their money by charging exhibitors for work they do for them. All too often, exhibitors do not want to pay for this service, so they do it themselves. I could not begin to count how many exhibitors I have seen pushing unsuitable and overloaded trolley’s with the inevitable consequences.

Next is setting up the stand. Unless the Floor Manager or Health & Safety Officer are watching over exhibitors as they set up, they will get up to all manner of stupid tricks. Some defy belief. I have seen idiots using Stanley knives, power tools and so on for all but the purpose they were designed for, with little or no regard to personal safety or the safety of those who are foolish enough to get in the vicinity. This year alone I have been on 3 shows where emergency ambulances have had to be called. The problem is that each exhibitor is concerned only with getting his /her stand ready as quickly as possible. Usually so they can get to the Pub at the earliest possible time. Don’t think it will be any different on this show from any other, I can assure you, THEY ARE ALL THE SAME.

Once the show is open, there is much jostling of the visitors and of the exhibitors, keen to get to the punter before his/her rival. The venue can become a heaving mass of bodies, with the inevitable mishaps. The atmosphere can and usually does become stuffy, unpleasant and full of germs. It should come as no surprise that I do not go to exhibitions once they are open to the public. Once I have attended the pre-opening, I’m off like shot.

Due to the high cost of heating such venues, when the show closes for the night, the heating will usually be turned off, unless the exhibitors wish to foot the bill for keeping it on. In 25yrs in the business, I have yet to go on a show where this has happened.

And now it’s the break-down. This is the most hectic time of all. All doors and shutters are opened, if it’s cold or raining out, tough luck. Everyone is in a hurry to get out & get home. There is little regard paid to anything or anyone. Everyone wants to be first out of the door. Much is discarded, particularly if it is cheaper to trash it than to transport it back from where it came. As Logistics Manager on a show last year, I was told by one of my fork truck operators that there was a large puddle in one of the aisles. Upon investigating, I found that an exhibitor who had a fish filled aquarium as part of his display was siphoning off the water so he could re-pack the aquarium for return shipping. Apart from pointing out how stupid he was to create a dangerous slip hazard, I asked what he intended for the fish. He shrugged his shoulders and asked if anyone wanted them. His intention was obvious; they were to be left to die. They were rescued by a stand fitter. This is just one example that I have had personal experience of during the absolute mayhem of break-down. Believe me, there are many more I could recount.

This is just an outline of what goes on during the build & break of an exhibition. I could write a book, in fact, Health & Safety have made a video of some of the utterly unbelievably stupid things people do on exhibitions, in the name of speed and economy.

I could have written very much more here about the extremely hazardous nature of the build & break of exhibitions, but thought that making the post too long would be counterproductive (nobody would read it!). For example, so dangerous an environment is it, that children under the age of 16 are forbidden on site.

Stand holders can pay £1000s for their stand, plus the cost of transport, hotels, meals etc. etc. etc. They must cover these costs, and then they have just one thing in mind; PROFIT.

Now ask yourself “is this any place for a tortoise?”

I know what my answer is. A very definite NO.

Ban the import of tortoises, sign the petition at http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/769012123
Old 20-03-2008, 01:20 PM   #2
chris_walton
Sub Adult

ok i get what your saying but does this still apply to a big room full of tables and the odd fancy stall every now and again

Old 20-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
leggy
Sub Adult

I have to say i wont go to a show like this. I just dont think its right to treat any living thing the way thay do.

Old 20-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #4
Pussygalore
Adult

are any of these shows held in the summer because I've been to some where it is so hot especially tents, and at olympia last year it certainly varied from area to area, if the shows are in buildings is it more easy to control the temps ie do they have airconditioning what were the temps like at Hamm seeing as it is so early in the year, I'm always amazed at the amount of work that goes into putting something big on I wouldn't know where to start I've already spoke to Pies about the london boat show as to how difficult it must be to get all that water in the building and the size of some of the boats there, has anyone been they now have windsurfing indoors in an enormous temporary pool, very clever
Old 20-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

For all those who are interested in another point of veiw about the Hamm fair, the TPG have just posted their report on their site, they are saying that temps of up to 30c were registered in the hall so heaven knows what they were in the tanks, I hope this doesn't get removed as fair go they were invited there along with other welfare groups and there is definately another side to this, they have no reason that I know of to lie about this.
Old 20-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
chris_walton
Sub Adult

ann next time i go im picking you up on the way and im going to hold your hand and we will walk around together and we will ask questions take some pics i just want to show you DONT belive everything you read witness it for yourself with me and make your mind up then

i just wanted to say also that at the moment my insect room is at 24 and thats without the heating on so should i not put it on as im sure most animals can cope with a temp of 30 and it must get around that in both our animal rooms

Old 20-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

Chris give me some reasons not to believe what the TPG are saying, why would they lie or make things up.
Old 20-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #8
chris_walton
Sub Adult

but ann for what reason would i have to lie im not in that position to give any false evidence about anything

i just dont think its right to blast them all at the show its all most like saying they are all a bunch of ******s on sw which isnt fair as it might only apply to one or two people not every single member

let the tpg say what they want ann i dont mind in there eyes they are doing what they think is right but it did take for days for them to put there message up and noone has replied to it as of yet and i really dont think they will actually get anything achieved by posting this as there is much worse things going on in the tort world that they could be dealing with instead of trying to stop shows
shouldnt they be stoping the people who are supplying the traders with the torts first

chris x x x

Old 20-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
Becks
Adult

Here we go again
i personally feel unless you have been to such a place then one cant comment .
i also feel that you sould never belive 1st hand what you read or what one is told ..
i also dont think there are people telling lies about what they seen .. but if joe bloggs goes looking for bad things then joe bloggs will report on the bad things they see and not the good things if any as thats what joe bloggs went there to find ie bad things about a place not the good ..
i personally feel if you are looking for answers on the matter in question . then you sould go and see with your own eyes
you can not judge a place just on what is said about it the facts sould be checked out by the person looking for the answers to come to there own views on such a place ...As they say there is always to sides to everythink .which is why i always look into things with an open mind
just MY opinion of cause

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Old 20-03-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Belinda
Hatchling

I can endorse this concept, this is true, people see what they want to see. Bias exists in each and every forum, person ,leaflet , newspaper, pressure group, debate and so on....ad infinitum. Whilst the idea of the event still seems to me distasteful, as I posted much much earlier in the thread,I am prepared to accept that only my own eyes would give me the answer, trusting ALL other sources for feedback on the event is incredibly hard.
Closed Thread