Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 22-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Lisamn
Hatchling

Default Feeling a bit fed up : (

Hi everyone. I've never posted a thread in this section before, but just feel like I need to offload to someone a bit as I've not had a great time of it of late.

The week before last I had a car accident which was absolutely not my fault (I was simply driving in the right direction in a straight line along a straight road). Neither myself or the 3rd party were injured, luckily. However, when I got out of my car the other woman argued until she was blue in the face that I was to blame. Her insurance have since admitted full liability but sorting it all out and getting my car fixed (it's still in the garage) has been a bit of a hassle.

Then, last week I was off work ill with an awful flu/cold type virus. I'm a teacher and normally if I can walk I go in to work, but my temperature was all over the place and I ached like mad from head to toe as well as being completely bunged up, so I took time off. I did go in two nights after school to do parents evening as I really didn't want to cancel and rearrange that - it would have been a logistical nightmare.

Anyway, last Friday, just as I thought I was starting to feel a little more human (and also feeling very guilty for having 4 days off with what people essentially think of as a 'cold'), things got worse. It started with a dull ache in my left ear about 7pm and by 8.30pm I was writhing around and literally crying like a baby in total agony. I called 111 who could only advise me to put a warm flannel on the ear and take paracetamol (they clearly misunderstood my description of 'agonising, unbearable pain' if they seriously thought either of those two actions would help!!) With no A&E nearby and being alone so not able to travel to one, I endured this horrific pain until approx 1am which was when my eardrum finally gave way with the infection and burst.

Needless to say I saw an emergency doctor the following morning, was given very strong antibiotics and have ended up having yet another week off work (not just due to the ear, but I was still extremely bunged up as before, had a hacking cough and have been inexplicably tired, sleeping for England most days).

So, I guess its back to work on Monday as I really can't be taking more time off but i'm really nervous/not looking forward to the return as not only do I still have a bad, chesty cough, am still very tired and am still bunged up, but now I'm also entirely deaf in my left ear (the right is also well and truly blocke with wax too according to the doc) and could be so for some time yet. Its hard enough hearing people in a one on one conversation/hearing the telly, door or phone, so goodness knows how I'm going to manage in a classroom with 30+ children.

Sorry for the long post and I know things could be worse but I'm just feeling rather sorry for myself at the mo and am desperate to get my hearing back

Last edited by Lisamn; 22-03-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Lisamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Neddy
Sub Adult

Awww Lisa this does not sound very pleasant

The only thing that can help is rest so this weekend put your feet up and just chill out.

Don't worry about people thinking you had a 'cold' the people who are important will understand and know you wouldn't just 'pull a sickie' for the sake of it.

I hope you feel better soon xx
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
Lisamn
Hatchling

Thanks, Neddy. I'm nearly 40 and the most time I've ever had off sick before is 3 days, and that was for a minor op! This virus thing has been just awful though and like I say, I'm desperate to get my hearing back. You just don't realise how much you take it for granted until it's gone.
Old 22-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

I am the same when it comes to being ill but sometimes its your bodies way of saying I need to rest or I can't defend you properly.

Just make sure you rest (I am not a doctor but it is an order) haha
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
purplelynn
Sub Adult

As a fellow teacher I understand where you are coming from but if you cannot hear properly are unable to fulfil your full role within the classroom it is better to stay home and rest. It's better for you to decide early rather than struggle in and then have to go home half way through the day as that causes a nightmare for colleagues
purplelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Lisamn
Hatchling

Aw, Purplelynne, I feel bad enough about the time I've already had off, I really couldn't bring myself to take anymore. My thinking is that it's only 3 days in the classroom plus one further training day and then it's the Easter hols. My biggest concern is hearing well enough in those 3 days to do a good job of teaching, but I figure I'm not going to know that until I get back and try it. Hopefully, by the time the hols are over, my hearing will be back to normal pretty much (the doc said up to six weeks).

Has anyone else on here had their eardrum burst before? If so, did you fully recover your hearing? Is 6 weeks a reasonable length of time for it to heal? Seems quite a long time to me, but then I haven't a clue about this sort of thing!
Old 22-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Lisamn
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
I am the same when it comes to being ill but sometimes its your bodies way of saying I need to rest or I can't defend you properly.

Just make sure you rest (I am not a doctor but it is an order) haha
I promise to do nothing but rest this weekend
Old 22-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #8
TDB
Incubating

Am sorry to hear your feeling like this. I d like to offer a little advise. Firstly for the blocked ear, this is easily resolved, you need some warm olive oil, you can buy this from the chemist it comes with a handy little pipette for you to put drops in your ears. You warm the oil by standing in a cup of hot water.. the oil doesn't need to be hot. I would put a couple of drops in the impacted ear preferably in the evening and then put a piece of cotton wool to absorb any access oil. This should take about 7-10 days to resolve, if you hadn't perforated your ear drum I would also have recommended that you go for a Hopi ear treatment, but you cant with your drum being damaged I would go back to your GP and get your chest looked at...you may have a chest infection and the antibiotics prescribed for your ear may not cover your chest. I would also take the rest of next week off and recover over the Easter period. For the sake of going back for four days you could potentially put yourself in a worse position, don't put yourself under any more stress. I hope you feel better soon don't forget to take the pain killers, its better to keep on top of them than take them sporadically. Hope this helps xx
TDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #9
TDB
Incubating

It could take longer than six weeks and your hearing may never be as sharp as it was. I m not a Dr...but I am a qualified nurse and holistic therapist. I would recommend you get some ecchinaecia from a health store to help boost your bodies immune system.
TDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
alley cat
Adult

Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time of it.
Firstly, forget about the car, that has happened and been dealt with, you are not responsible for what happened and that has obviously been realised by the insurance people.
Secondly, dont feel guilty about taking time off, you are clearly not someone who normally takes time off so your collegues will know that you must really be unwell.
Thirdly, if you can take those few inbetween days off before the Easter break you will have chance to properly rest and recover, otherwise you may end up making yourself worse.
Fourthly, nobody will thank you for giving them the illness for when they are time off over Easter, so help them all out and stay away!

Hope you soon feel better
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote