Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 25-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #21
Easter Bunny
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyTortoise View Post
Even if there organs are good. Sadly, it's most likely the vet will advise having it put to sleep. That's no real way of life is it?
If they were mine if the vet wanted to put them to sleep I would make sure I was there when they done it and I would bring them home to bury in the garden (under a lovely tort friendly weed). Just wouldn't want them to be messed around with because they're so unique. I would hate the thought of that.

Good luck at the vets
Old 25-09-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
alley cat
Adult

Twins would have been unique and lovely but conjoined is quite sad really, to be honest I would ask for them to be put to sleep, that sounds so harsh, but really, how would they have any quality of life? I feel so sorry for you and for them that it has turned out this way, thinking of you tomorrow
alley cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:30 PM   #23
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

There was a tortoise with two necks and two heads which appeared in lots of newspapers a while ago. That tortoise seemed to be quite normal apart from that and was doing well at that time.

This one is quite sad to see and it must be very difficult for our poster who looked after the eggs and waited eagerly for them to hatch. Its hard to imagine that one could survive.
Old 25-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #24
burnt toast
Adult

How sad, one of the downsides of breeding. I think it was brave & considerate of you to share these images, as they may help others. Thank you & all the best for the vets
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #25
jeannette37
Juvenile

The pictures are amazing and thank you for putting them on but what a shame poor torts,I'm probably thinking the same as everyone how could it survive

I don't own torts they own me
jeannette37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #26
TillyTortoise
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannette37 View Post
The pictures are amazing and thank you for putting them on but what a shame poor torts,I'm probably thinking the same as everyone how could it survive
Yes it is very sad.. But its one of those things
TillyTortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #27
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

I can honestly say this is the first time I have ever seen a conjoined animal that only had one head.

Danny
Old 26-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #28
stef2128
Egg

they do kinda have 2 heads its just that they never split either. they have 2 mouths and 3 eyes
stef2128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #29
mrscross78
Hatchling

If these were my tortoises I would want to be 100% sure that they were not happy or not healthy before I agreed to put them to sleep! Lets be honest here, it is obviously not ideal that they are conjoined but they are still living animals who may want to live and may be happy?... I'd have to know 100% that they were either NOT happy or NOT healthy before I ever agreed to have them put to sleep.

Testudo Hermanni Hermanni Victor & George
Amelia
mrscross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #30
Helen M
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Helen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscross78 View Post
If these were my tortoises I would want to be 100% sure that they were not happy or not healthy before I agreed to put them to sleep! Lets be honest here, it is obviously not ideal that they are conjoined but they are still living animals who may want to live and may be happy?... I'd have to know 100% that they were either NOT happy or NOT healthy before I ever agreed to have them put to sleep.
I think just by looking at them you can tell that they're not happy or healthy. If any woman was carrying twins that were conjoined this way they'd be recommended to have an abortion without a second thought. There's just no way that this tortoise could get around, eat and drink without help 24 hours.

If it were mine I would have put it in the fridge and then freezer to let it go in peace and quickly. To me if it can't function as a tortoise should by being able go feed itself and move around to regulate it's own temperature etc then it has no real quality of life, it would be cruel to keep it going.

Helen xx
Helen M is offline   Reply With Quote