Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 09-04-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Luckyluckyx
Egg

Post Possible Redfoot tortoise housing

Hello.......

I am looking for some advice. At the moment I have 2 young redfoots one at 2 years and another at 6 months.

I have them both in a 4ft Viv as they are still small. But I was looking to rehome more redfoots. My idea was to build an enclosure in my hut. It’s all insulated and double glazed. It will be about 15ft by 20ft so will be rather large. I am looking for some advice to do with lighting and heating.

My plan was to make to basking corners and make a pool in another one( build up soil around it so they can get in easily). Put 4 tubes around the sides to get the uv. And top it all off with bark. Could plant some edible plants for them to eat and half bury concrete tubes for them to hide in. Hopefully they will have eggs and I will use Viv’s outside the enclosure for a nursery as such.

Also if anyone know the best mister that can be used with a timer?

Looking for some advice or ideas of what to use or if there is any other kinds of lighting that would be better.

Thanks
Luckyluckyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
Jan W
Sub Adult

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately I do not know anything about redfoots, but I am sure you will receive a response soon.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I don't know either but that's a bit of a huge project you're planning and would be a massive task every time you needed to change the soil and bark. I'm not sure either that bark is a good substrate because of the resin in it and because they could eat it.
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

there is a massive red foot thread with brilliant ideas and photos on here so you may draw on some ideas. I think he had timer misters also and pools etc. Let us all know how you get on. Hopefully it may stop raining at some point this year unless you live in the Med at which point can you send some sun please, CB

Tags
enclosure, help me, lighting, red foot, tortoise