Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Pictures

Old 21-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
emma_mcraf
Adult

Default Tables

When we moved house, I really wanted the torts to have their own room for days not in the garden. Having a tort room was the stuff of dreams for me.
So we turned what was a dressing room into the tort room.

Hubby ripped out the fitted wardrobes on both sides and plastered and painted the walls (I'm giving him massive kudos here as this was done within 3 weeks of moving!) and got the electrician to feed through power from the study.

He was able to use both triple tables we had brought with us and made a long double to go under the window.

I've rehomed a few torts since then and now the females are much more grown, I wanted to give them more space and so asked hubby to make me another triple to fit in my study. He and his apprentice (our youngest son) have done so much building for me - the arbour, another bookcase, the new tort tables - and they love carpentry, so I'm just keeping them happy.
The study size was limited so it's a square table but just perfect for the space and the girls have loved having more room.
It seems a very long time ago they used to share washing up bowls for baths!!!

My new tables

I am spoiled while I work as I can watch them on rainy days and it's a gorgeous view out the window.

We are rural here and there are lots of predators - foxes, birds of prey, the neighbour's cats... so they don't live outside permanently but go out most days from early spring to autumn.

I just need to move the names across to the tables of the females who have moved into the study. They all have their own wooden names. Told you they're spoiled! Okay, they don't know or care; I do it for myself.

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
tortydat
Sub Adult

What a clever and understanding husband you have.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortydat View Post
What a clever and understanding husband you have.
He is clever and he could have been a carpenter as he’s so good at it. He’s very able at turning his hand to anything practical whether it be plumbing, electrical, mechanical, decorating, etc.
At our first home he lay carpets, hanged doors, fitted new windows, etc. He even dug out the foundations for one of the two extensions we had there and laid patios, made fences and gates.
We were very lucky moving here that there was no immediate decorating to be done except for our son’s bedroom as he had autism and so he painted it the right colour and we had new curtains ready to hang as soon as we moved, to help him cope with such a massive change.

As you can see, the study is very much my domain with all my hangings, photos, fish tank and so on. Hubby never complains. The older I get, the more of a hippy I seem to be becoming.
He has definitely become more understanding as he’s got older and doesn’t question my passion for animals and nature. He has a very strong bond with our dog Chester and I think he now understands what love for animals is like. Admittedly, dogs are different to torts but I’ve had disparaging remarks from family who don’t ‘get it’ when it comes to my tortoise passion (how rude!) and yet he’ll do anything to help me with them. People really don’t believe me when I tell them I know people who have far, far more torts than me!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 22-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

wow what inspiring pictures Emma ! I love it all. I actually think I dream of wooden structures and how to put them together. I love wood. I use to at school too and clay - still have clay models I made of Buddha from school ! I have my own drill and screwdrivers but cobble things together so to me this is pure genius ! it should be featured in Harry Potter !!! they are very clever and with the electrics , it takes planning and patience to get it just so. lot o hard work. You are so like me that you express yourself in every nook and cranny of the house. You cram every inch of design and you into the gaps. We have stacking books , stacking magazines, crannys and nooks and stuff it full of life. I admit a bit mad but it works and harmony ! simply lovely set up you have. CB
Old 22-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
wow what inspiring pictures Emma ! I love it all. I actually think I dream of wooden structures and how to put them together. I love wood. I use to at school too and clay - still have clay models I made of Buddha from school ! I have my own drill and screwdrivers but cobble things together so to me this is pure genius ! it should be featured in Harry Potter !!! they are very clever and with the electrics , it takes planning and patience to get it just so. lot o hard work. You are so like me that you express yourself in every nook and cranny of the house. You cram every inch of design and you into the gaps. We have stacking books , stacking magazines, crannys and nooks and stuff it full of life. I admit a bit mad but it works and harmony ! simply lovely set up you have. CB
I love wood too. I love the smell of it and although we have pine tort tables, a lot of my furniture is much darker - tudor oak - and antique pine in the bedroom. Furniture to last a lifetime. It was all MDF flatpacks when we started out many years ago, so I take pride in what we have now.
I'll tell hubby he should teach at Hogwarts!!

Yes, my passions are expressed throughout the house and garden. The study is very much my domain though and there are lots of my pagan bits about. I know you know not pagan in the terms of witchcraft and so on (but I do have a besom!) but in that I'm led by the seasonal changes and I acknowledge the sabbats. It's an eclectic mish-mash of a bit of most beliefs, lots of windchimes, crystals, hares, green men, Buddhas and so on. Typical creative, expressive Aquarians, aren't we Clare?!!
I can't have stacking books though as I'm too organised and I'm an 'everything in its place' person so we have a LOT of bookcases. I even have an inventory of the books, shelf by shelf, of the bookcases in our bedroom.

Old 22-04-2020, 04:40 PM   #6
Yvonne G
Hatched

My goodness! That's great!!
Old 27-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
CherryBrandy
Adult

you could go on line emma with your books cases ! they are all in - I have bookcases also mostly lee child and david Baldacci ....Dali lama quotes also CB
Old 27-04-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
burnt toast
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post

Clare, you are soo my sister! I too love wood & projects & cobbling things together (& wont give up until theyre done!) hubby calls me 'bodge it & scarper'!
Long story, don't know if you saw the pictures I pisted of my Horsfields greenhouse? I brought the frame £25! Intending to glaze with glass I had from an old greenhouse.

Asked hubby to build it for me & he replied : get me the instructions. None available. So it sat for two years!! One day i pulled out my giant meccano set! Laid out on the patio what looked like one side, then seven more! It couldn't be glass unfortunately (turned out to be a Sunday supplement special. After building the greenhouse (roof left over from my dads car port, lines going different directions so I could cut as much from each piece. I then set about building a wooden sleep box to but up against it. 4 x 2 but with a triangle one side so it joined to greenhouse side... Impossible according to hubby (I can remember being out in my nightie & coat one new years day, working on it!) but its up & been working fine for five years plus now!!

Id really like to make a small potting shed.. But musnt as donne enough projects in last few months. X

Emma theyre great. I have a double & a triple bunk. (not half as nice as yours) Mine are in conservatory but handy to have during winter or if i need to separate, keep an eye on someone.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
CherryBrandy
Adult

its funny what the women can do !! I bought lots of lumisol and gorilla tape - If I cant get to screws and nails (is there really much difference? seriously) I use a combination of cord or string, lumisol and gorilla tape - tie it up or stick it down is my motto - I have 3 sun umbrellas kept alive with gaffa tape and tie cord....perfectly ok for a costa rican beach bar somewhere so works well in the back garden is my view !!! This year I have picked the heads of every single dandelion and seeded the garden from them - I calculate I have saved around £30 seed wise - not that I would have spent that much but nice to know I have saved it - love your nick name lynne I reckon it probably would suit you and wear it with pride !! CB
Old 27-04-2020, 12:12 PM   #10
burnt toast
Adult

Cable ties a good standby here too!

I didn't realise dandelion flowers froze & came back ok. Picked all in front garden other day. Need to spread them apart on a tray then you can store together.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote