Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 21-06-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
Clairebun
Egg

Question Why does he eat stones?

I have seen my Horsfield eating small stones - is this 'normal?'
Clairebun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Some torts do. I've noticed they tend to do it if they have been put somewhere new, they kind of investigate the stones. My ones tend to bite them but not eat them though I've read of other people's torts actually eating them.

They may also be looking for calcium, are you giving them calcium in the form of limestone flour and cuttle fish bone?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
dae
Hatchling

Hi, I am told the same as Alan, it's for the minerals in them. Athough my Charlie (2 year old Horesfield) has cuttle fish, nutrobal, limestone powder- the lot but no way can sh be trusted with stones and the ones I've pulled from her mouth are HUGE. It's a real worry as if they are not able to pass them they may become blocked and require surgery.

I would say if you have a real stone lover you should go through the encolsure and just make sure there are no temptations- if possible of course- this could take you weeks Lol!

But like Alan said it's Ok for them to peck at them so bigger ones that they absolutely can't swallow are good- this is what Charlie now has to satisfy her addiction. None of my other torts eat them tho!
dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Crazee
Egg

Hi Clairebun,

Have a look at the thread: "They're eating the gravel" below and you will see it is quite common, but worrying nontheless.

Mine is still at it despite all the calcium and other supplements he is getting, so a lack of calcium is not the whole story here. He passed a couple of massive stones on Saturday and I think he had been trying for a day or so as he seemed to be in some discomfort. He then shot off down the garden absolutely full of himself, whilst we were worrying ourselves to death about him!

Little tinkers they are!
Crazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

my vet told me it means they are lacking calcium.
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Burgers
Egg

My Leopard tortoise eats stones when he goes outside I took him to the vets about it and they said it was due to a lack of calcium and the tortoise is trying to search it out as it were . . ..I don’t personaly think this is true in all cases. some cases maybe a lack of calcium is to blame but my tortoise has plenty of calcium and has a chalk block or cuttlefish which he can chew on whenever he wants and he hardly ever does. I think they might do it to aid digestion maybe? like some larger reptiles and birds do. He always passes them though.

In summery I wouldn’t worry to much about it just make sure that your tortoise is getting enough calcium in his diet and if the problem gets worse of persists then just take him/her to a vets although the vet will just say its a lack of calcium.
Old 22-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I must admit that my torts seek out white or lighter coloured stones, whether they are attracted by the colour or they think it's cuttlefish bone or any other bone I don't know. They too have access to as much calcium as they want. They don't as far as I've ever seen swallow the stones but they might do when I'm not there of course
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Sally_liz
Incubating

Both of mine will eat stones when they are free roaming in the garden. They have more than enough calcium suppliment on their food, but they still insist on doing it. I've tried putting in a cuttlefish bone, but they ignored it. I then chopped it up into little peices and scattered it around (to look like little white stones), but they still ignored it. My vet said it's calcium they are looking for too, but I hate to say it, i've come to the conclusion that mine are just plain stupid, (I still love them!).
They now rarely can be in the garden free roaming as I caught one about to swallow a stone the size of my thumb nail.
Sally_liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #9
lilllis
Hatched

yep same here - light little stones one of mine likes - they have everything for calcium but still do it.... infact the one that eats the stones also went mad about some dried bird poo the other day.... i kept moving her away and she would keep going back - this carried on for about an hour! and she would not give up!!!

oh i do remember learning somewhere that animals eat stones to help with the break down of food... helps break things down in the gut.... however 1) i dont remember where i learnt this and 2) i dont remember what animal it was refering to......

Infact i could have dreamed it........... ???

Why do today what can be done tomorrow?

0.2.0 Horsfield

Last edited by lilllis; 22-06-2009 at 04:14 PM.
lilllis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #10
anna m
Adult

Same here. As much limestone flour and cuttlefish as they want but they are still atracted to stones
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote