Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 26-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
alotoffluff
Adult

Location: greenwich, london, previously born and brought up in Kent!

Hi Guys
Dae, i have pm'd you.
The fishy smell with Fluffy was mainly down to him burrowing in a patch of soil he had weed on. It was something harmless and totally unrelated to his death.
I did a complete soil change and gave him a long soak and he smelt much healthier.
In your pm you didnt mention the legs having somthing wrong with them.......
I can only tell you what i was told by my vet. He said that the back leg not being used properly was probably down to the start of MBD. But when he was blood tested and x-rayed for it, he didnt have this. They discovered a massive bladder stone which could not be passed and would need operating on. (the size of the stone for a tort his age led them to believe it was congenital).
Then they discovered kidney probs.
Im not saying your tort has any of these things, but please, urge your vet to do an xray. It only cost me £20 for that, and if it uncovers anything, it can save your torts life.
I wish you luck. XXX
alotoffluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #12
dae
Hatchling

Hey, just to say thanks so much and also thanks for the PMs. I am going to look for another reptile vet as I wasn't offered any of this but I would pay for it all very happily to get Humphrey better. Or maybe I'll just go back and see her again. He is walking like no ones business now. He can't keep still, he's like a 10 year old toddler exploring everything. Today it's raining so he has followed me into EVERY room of the house, he must have lapped it 30 times! I can't beleive the improvement in just under 2 weeks of correct husbandry!!! He's soundo now!

Thanks All!
dae is offline   Reply With Quote