Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 PM   #21
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ
Lets see now... The American SW when there are water restrictions... oh heck... Georgia when there are water restrictions.

My 1/4 acre is down to bare earth from 9 tortoises. Only now is it starting to rain. Forget about collecting broad leaf weeds because there are none.

There's alot of stuff people take for granted.

Regardles, the growth on my animals is nothing short of wonderful.

But the people you are advising to use it here are in UK Ed. We are inundated with weeds for free, how on earth can you justify this rubbish under such conditions. Plus we only have your word for your torts wonderful growth. As stated you have a lot of torts and yet we only ever see pics of certain ones, plus you are telling people that all growth is wonderful even in the case of one which obviously has severe bone problems There are just too many contradictions Ed - you seem to be saying whatever suits at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aramintalovegrove
who doesnt have access to weeds?!!

Old 10-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #22
aramintalovegrove
Juvenile

As Graham is from west bromwich (sp?) I was assuming not barren waste land environment Ed, sorry If my commenet upset you it was not intended.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #23
westcountrygirl
Egg

If all this info is true which members are so vehemently justifying why do you suppose that over 90% of dog owners in this country feed their dogs processed foods? Isn't this the same thing? A small portion of owners feed the BARF diet which is supposedly the natural diet that dogs would eat if left to their own devices. Processed foods imho have their place for the owners convenience not for the animals, however I doubt that they are as detrimental to health as some would have you believe.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 AM   #24
EJ
Adult

No upset here. Sorry if I gave that impression.

When in the UK last the weeds was the first thing I noticed... man, you got it good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramintalovegrove
As Graham is from west bromwich (sp?) I was assuming not barren waste land environment Ed, sorry If my commenet upset you it was not intended.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 11-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #25
wizzasmum

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcountrygirl
If all this info is true which members are so vehemently justifying why do you suppose that over 90% of dog owners in this country feed their dogs processed foods? Isn't this the same thing? A small portion of owners feed the BARF diet which is supposedly the natural diet that dogs would eat if left to their own devices. Processed foods imho have their place for the owners convenience not for the animals, however I doubt that they are as detrimental to health as some would have you believe.

Mine are on organic meat and have not seen a vet in years When on dried food we had coat problems, aggression and nervous problems (and that was just me LOL) No seriously - never going back and wished I had not brought it in the first place. I am vegetarian and find it hard to cut up raw meat for them but it's for them so I do it

Old 11-07-2007, 12:16 AM   #26
EJ
Adult

sushi... sashimi... ummmm good... better if it's still moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzasmum
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcountrygirl

Mine are on organic meat and have not seen a vet in years When on dried food we had coat problems, aggression and nervous problems (and that was just me LOL) No seriously - never going back and wished I had not brought it in the first place. I am vegetarian and find it hard to cut up raw meat for them but it's for them so I do it
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
Old 11-07-2007, 08:05 AM   #27
Pussygalore
Adult

my jack russels were on complete food all their lives they had access to it all the time weren,t piggy, fat and never had any health problems, plus their poos were less revolting, hounds are fed meat or whole bits of animals ever smelt them or their mess or seen how fast they eat, it may be natural and probably best but these animals have to live in the house with us and therefore compromise on their habbits plus not many can afford organic meat for themselves let alone their animals I certainly couldn,t I wish I could but feeding a commercial dog or any animal food which the majority do be it for convenience, cost or whatever shouldn,t be badley thought of these foods have been researched by reputable companies and are well balanced diets in fact I don,t think raw meat diets are reccomended by vets the same as these foods because unless you give extra minerals vitamins etc the animal would be lacking or do you feed whole carcasses like the hunts do which is what they would eat in the wild.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:36 AM   #28
piglet
Adult

I feed freash meat (tripe,chicken,rabbit and fresh cubed beef)and occassional veg(boiled carrot, occasional sweet potatoe) I do use a whole meal mixer twice weekley also, like Sue my dogs have never had any veterinary needs they are fed once daily a large meal they are excercise vigourly daily and are extremley fit andd healthy for middle aged dogs .

I don't like complete diets as they are full of undigestable matter to bulk up the feed

D
Old 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM   #29
Graham1
Egg

My God talk about wishing I had'nt bothered... I was out until after 10pm last night collecting dandelions clover thistle ect..
I have a large lush garden that, weather permiting they are in at every possible occasion.

Both my tortoises eat plenty of weeds along with vegetables and (non citrus) fruit, they are very lively and active, they also have a couple of pelletts in their diet, I have done my research and got my advise from people who have successfully kept and bred tortoises for over 30 years.

I felt this would give a diet that would be sustainable during the winter when clover dandelions etc are not so accesable.

Thank you for your advice but I have added food designed for tortoises to their diet, I have not been sprinkling heroin over their cale
Old 11-07-2007, 10:34 AM   #30
westcountrygirl
Egg

I bet!!! You will be amazed at just how many weeds are still available in winter. I found plenty of dandelion and plaintain around where I live. You just won't find it so abundant thats all.
Closed Thread