Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Old 23-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #11
roedeane
Egg

I put largish pieces of cuttlefish in with my torts as they seem to love chewing at it - espescially if rained on or dirty with soil Yvette
roedeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #12
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpx
Thanks, i was just wondering cuz if it is ok to grind down into powder, i guess it saves 7 pound on nutrobal! (NOT SAYING IM A TIGHT BUTT WITH MONEY) just thought it might be easier ratehr than travelling a few miles for something thats pound i can go to the local store an get 3 cuttlefish bone an grind them
How long have you had your tortoises? Surely, before buying an exotic pet you should have researched and established costs involved, ie.lamps, enclosures (both indoor/outdoor) supplements etc. Or are these the tortoises that STILL live in a washing up bowl?? If spending £7 on a tub of nutrobal is a problem for you then I think you have chosen the wrong pet get a goldfish!! You cannot try and cut corners when owning something so special!! I hope your tortoises are never poorly as £7 is a drop in the ocean at a vets!!

JMHO.

Tamie
Tamie Milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2007, 04:18 PM   #13
wizzasmum

Agree with this absolutely 100% If there is one thing you cannot do with tortoises it's cut corners. I make it quite clear when selling my babies, the costs involved and offer to buy back any that people change their minds about no questions asked.
Old 23-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Tamie Milne
Hatched

I was going to apologise for my post coming across as rather harsh, but I am not ! The idea of trying to cut corners on these poor little tortoises is appalling. I have read that they have been in the same tiny enclosure for over a year - then pictured eating cucumber and what looks like tomatoes, for gods sake, do the right thing by these tortoises and stop trying to save pennies! I personally think you have cut ENOUGH corners to date in their care and husbandry.

In the last few weeks I have rehomed for the Tortoise Trust approximately 30 tortoises, in alot of cases the owner felt they could not proivide the care and attention the tortoise(s) deserved and wanted to see them cared for properly - take note cpx.

Rant over

Tamie
Old 23-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #15
tortoise_dude

Tamie, i think you are wasting your time, I have told this to tay tons of times, and he has the same arguement "its getting done..." or "You don't know how much I love them!" or "You keep yours in a proffesional way, I keep mine becuase I love them"

If he truley loved them then he would give them to a better home.
Old 23-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
wizzasmum

Well - would he like them cared for properly as I am sure one of us will be able to help in that direction. Keeping any animal confined in this way is cruel, so love doe not come into. My daughter works for child protection and hears the cries of 'I love my baby' time and time again, They do not go back to a family who refuse to care for them properly though, which is absolutely right. I work for the Greyhound Rescue as many of you know and would never home one to someone with just a back yard which is what this amounts to. Christ this makes me so angry!!
Old 23-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #17
Tamie Milne
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise_dude
Tamie, i think you are wasting your time, I have told this to tay tons of times, and he has the same arguement "its getting done..." or "You don't know how much I love them!" or "You keep yours in a proffesional way, I keep mine becuase I love them"

If he truly loved them then he would give them to a better home.
Well, if he loved those tortoises they would not be in that set up for as long as they have, fed inappropriate foods and corners cut on their supplements - I wonder why one's nails fell off ???

Do us all a favour cpx - rehome the tortoises to someone who would love them and care for them in the manner they so rightly deserve. Failing that, grow up and realise what you are doing is WRONG! It is not a question about 'professional' vs. 'love' , it boils simply down to right vs. wrong.

Tamie
Old 23-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #18
Cpx

Quote:
Tamie wrote:
How long have you had your tortoises? Surely, before buying an exotic pet you should have researched and established costs involved, ie.lamps, enclosures (both indoor/outdoor) supplements etc. Or are these the tortoises that STILL live in a washing up bowl?? If spending £7 on a tub of nutrobal is a problem for you then I think you have chosen the wrong pet get a goldfish!! You cannot try and cut corners when owning something so special!! I hope your tortoises are never poorly as £7 is a drop in the ocean at a vets!!

JMHO.

Tamie

------------
I was going to apologise for my post coming across as rather harsh, but I am not ! The idea of trying to cut corners on these poor little tortoises is appalling. I have read that they have been in the same tiny enclosure for over a year - then pictured eating cucumber and what looks like tomatoes, for gods sake, do the right thing by these tortoises and stop trying to save pennies! I personally think you have cut ENOUGH corners to date in their care and husbandry.

In the last few weeks I have rehomed for the Tortoise Trust approximately 30 tortoises, in alot of cases the owner felt they could not proivide the care and attention the tortoise(s) deserved and wanted to see them cared for properly - take note cpx.

Rant over

Tamie
Hi tammie, thankyou for your Rant, but i'll say this and i'll keep on saying.

1. Torts are fine, theyre on a full weed diet and have been for weeks, i give cucumber all the time and i give tomatoe once in a while just for a lil extra.

2. The tortoises are outside the enclosure for a good few hours a day in an out.

3. NO PROBLEMS!

4. i ask about stupid cuttlebone and you lot start your stupid rants.

5. IM sick of it, so what bring up my bad care my this my that! i dont care. in my opinion, if you lot do not listen then thats your problem, not mine.. ive said im getting a bigger cage and thats it.
Tortoises are in the small cage for like 4 hours a DAY and then at night time for sleeping...cuz theyre out running around in the bedroom. nothing harms them whilst there out.

6. My brother damien is going to buy me my cage when he gets his payback for wages or something!

7. QUIT GETTING ON MY BACK OVER NOTHING! ive explained that the torts are out a fair time for lots of exercise, they climb and do everything.
they have cucmber with weeds WOW!

i think im gunna leave this forum and leave for good, i cant keep being bothered to explain about the temparary enclosure.

Delete me ban me ...best thing you can do to me on this forum anyway!

SEE YA!

before i do actually GO!
take note that i have took in all your info and so on, but for the time being its useless!
til my brother gets the cage!
now then lets leave it as that PLEASE!
Old 23-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #19
wizzasmum

before i do actually GO!
take note that i have took in all your info and so on, but for the time being its useless!
til my brother gets the cage!
now then lets leave it as that PLEASE!

I think the bit where you said you do not care about sums it up. Just another reason for pet shops not being allowed to sell torts methinks Disgusting!
Old 23-03-2007, 06:04 PM   #20
tortoise_dude

Tay, letting them out into the house is extremely stressfull, they woudln't find ANY carpet or beds or anything in the wild. end of.

You constantly say you are getting things done, and they really do get done.