Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #1
TRH123
Egg

Unhappy Baby leopard with RNS

Hi everyone, Just looking for a bit of advice from experienced tort owners. I have a baby leopard who I think has RNS, she has been to the reptile vet 3 times and is being treated with antibiotics. My question is, is there anything more I can do or should be dong at home to help it clear up? She is kept in an open top enclosure on top soil with a combined UVB/heat bulb and fed a diet of mixed home grown weeds and grasses (if i'm short on them she gets pre-alpin with a bit of florette added) and its sprinkled with nutrobal. I bathe her daily and she has fresh water in her table.

Thanks for looking
TRH123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Gordon
Adult

She needs to be kept warm and i dont think a table will do the job if you have a viv put her in there
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
zx4g
Hatchling

Have you looked in to nebulising with f10? Maybe talk to your vet about it. I've used it under instruction from a great tort vet & had fantastic results , even with out needing to use antibiotic when I spotted it early! Good luck and let us know how you get on
Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

Firstly I think you should invest in a ceramic bulb on a thermostat. My leo is now 6 and still sleeps underneath his at night, if the temp drop below 16 I will see a big change in his behaviour. The room temp should be about 21c and try to maintain that temp if you can.

Some good advice above as well

My leo has always had a snotty nose he has been checked by the vet several times and because it has never got worse or better he doesnt feel there is anything wrong health wise just that he isnt great with dust or small particles hence the snotty nose.

I experimented quite a bit until I found what suited Ralph the best. I ended up taking out the topsoil and sand mix and he just has stones and stick bridges on the flooring and reptile carpet at the other end where he sleeps, which is where his cermaic bulb is which is on 24/7.

His uv strip runs right through the middle of the table to maximise its performance. However Ralph has a ramp out of his table so he can free roam the kitchen diner whenever he wants. I chose the kitchen because it is the warmest room and his table is underneath the radiator so temp is really good.

I hoover the table out a few days a week as well to keep dust to a minimum.

Just a few things to consider once s/he is better.

Thanks

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
TRH123
Egg

Thanks for all your help everyone I have upped the temps on the table. I will go out and buy a ceramic bulb and thermostat for overnight and see If that helps, what temp do you keep yours at overnight? he/she is still very active and eating well so hopefully that's a good sign Thanks again
Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Neddy
Sub Adult

If it drops below 16c it switches on Active is good keep those temps up and I am sure s/he will be ok
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #7
TRH123
Egg

Brill thanks