Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1
Default toy dogs

Can anyone suggest the best toy dog to get? I have looked at chihuahuas and Maltese which are both on the right lines of what I want I think! It's a compramise with my boyfriend if I let him have a campervan when we move into a new house next year
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #2
Herpard
Adult

One huge tip!

Don't make the mistake of babying it, it will become an evil little yappy thing lol.

Check your local rescues first too, they do get smaller breeds in young and old and they come with all injections,micro chips and neutered/spayed and are a fraction of the cost
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Jemma1
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to Jemma1

Thank you haha, i was thinking rescue centres, might have to have a look there as i say it wont be until next year so plenty of time to look around
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Herpard
Adult

My nan had a yorkie and good god it was evil all because she treated it like a kid.

Yeah next year will be good as there will be loads going into rescues as unwanted Christmas presents.
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Gordon
Adult

Try a mastif nice cute and cuddly or a miniture jack russell
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
rocio
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnip View Post
Try a mastif nice cute and cuddly or a miniture jack russell
Can you tell me what a miniature Jack Russell is? Never heard of those!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #7
rocio
Hatchling

The thing about dogs is that you have to remember that they are dogs. Loads of toy dogs are great and just as many are a bit snappy or owner possessive or whatever problem you care to think about-------the end result is almost always down to YOU-------the owner. Read up on what the heritage of the dog is-------Yorkshire Terriers, Parson jack Russell ------all come from killer backgrounds,terrier instincts. There's loads of breeds to choose from, you have to go to training classes,shows etc and see and hear what there is to learn about various breeds and which might suit you. Are you prepared to spend shed loads of money having a Maltese,Bichon,Havanese,Shi Tzu,Lhasa Apso etc clipped every few weeks. I've stopped now. Have fun selecting your puppy and Good Luck!!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

All the tiny breeds are expensive to buy and have small litters. Try the breed rescues first. Then have a look at some of crosses. Most small breeds are very yappy and need constant company, so if you go out to work, don't choose a tiny dog. If you want something you can have fun with, go for a German Spitz or Pappion. These small dogs can even do Agility. A King Charles is a small dog and good in the family.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #9
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Can you tell me what a miniature Jack Russell is? Never heard of those!
Just a normal one but bred for its small size i have seen a few and they can be half the size of a normal one
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Talula
Egg

I have a chihuahua x papillon, I absolutely adore him but I must admit he's a bit of a yob. He was bred by my parents and has never been spoilt. He's fantastic with children, woman and anyone in my family but anyone else he thinks I need protecting so given the chance he will nip. he's funny once he gets to know someone he never forgets and loves them to death but the postman is the devil in his eyes and goes ballistic every morning. He eats the post and if I open the door he has to be locked away! He would definately bite him if he got the chance. Think he thinks hes trying to break in! Lol I'm home a lot ( 3 children) so always with him really but when I got married and left him with mum in law for a whole 24 hours he got in a terrible state and nearly died of a gastric infection. The only person I can leave him with now is my sister who he loves as much as me. He's funny guards me with his life but if your working out or want something a bit easier I'd recommend a king Charles they are a really lovely breed.
Talula is offline   Reply With Quote