Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Turtles and Terrapins > TESCO SELLING TURTLES IN CHINA

Old 13-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
Geomyda
Adult

Default Care For The Wild

I am probably preaching to the converted. However, on the 26th June 08 the wildlife charity "Care For the wild" put out a press release, updating the situation in China with a large supermarket subsidiary. As many of us knew, the Supermarket chain has invested in China and is currently selling live turtles from their chilled food counters to customers who can either take them away alive and dispatch them before cooking, or they will very ineptly butcher them for you.
At the recent AGM, the large supermarket chairman was questioned about this trade in his Chinese shops. To date, the response is to say the least pitiful.
There are two main issues here; 1. Acceptable animal welfare.
2. Conservation.- Though it is stated that the amimals sold by the large supermarket subsidiary come from "farmed" stock. In truth, how sustainable is this practise?
Please take the time to log on to the "Care for the Wild" web site, and if appropriate please sign the on line petition?
Whilst they are yet to mend their ways, you know "EVERY LITTLE HELPS"!

Last edited by Lowe; 13-08-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Name removal
Geomyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

I think you will find there is a page about this and has been since it began, or near abouts.
Just wondering if you looked<g>.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
Geomyda
Adult

Default Care For the Wild

Where is it? I thought that there might be but I could not find it?
Old 13-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Lowe
Administrator
Juvenile

It's currently only viewable by mods, and invisible to normal users. It was a huge topic and had its own forum on the old site, but since moving over I've disabled it for now. If enough interest is raised I'll open it up again but to be honest it had died down.
Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Geomyda
Adult

Default Care for the Wild

I am sure, that what the large supermarket had hoped and expected!
However, there are a couple of very damning scientific papers, fairly recently published, which strongly argue the fact that Turtle farming is not sustainable.
This relates to the conservation issue.
Likewise, the scientific and professional support in the most recent press release from "Care for the Wild", also condemns the animal welfare issues.
In a recent defensive response from the large supermarket, they state that the are currently reviewing the practises and employing professional consultants in China and the UK to advice (DEFEND) the continued trade.
For these reasons, it is very important that the issue should still be a current priority!
Regards

Last edited by Lowe; 13-08-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Name removal
Old 13-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Lowe
Administrator
Juvenile

You're more than welcome to carry on discussing it in here. I don't think an entire forum is needed though like we used to have.

We also have a general 'no names' policy when discussing businesses because it can become difficult separating fact and fiction and we don't wish to be held liable for litigation. At the moment the forum rules are in limbo and are being re-written for this site so since you're new I appreciate you weren't aware of this. However as I'm sure you'll understand I'll have to edit your posts shortly just to remove the names.

I'm sure everyone will know who you're discussing though, and if anyone doesn't - they're welcome to PM you to find out.

Also - I'll move this to General Discussion where you're more likely to get a greater audience.

/edit - thread moved.
Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #7
Geomyda
Adult

Default Care for the Wild

Thanks, whilst not privy to the previous correspondence on this matter, I can imagine that much was highly emotive and vitriolic?
However, I joined this site because I am very concerned that the common interests of us as hobbyists, naturalists and genuinely involved people get fragmented into small factions.
The subject of the Asian Turtle trade, though in truth going back many decades/centuries in China has in the last Fifteen/ Twenty years become a completly unsustainable monster. It is possibly the greatest threat to any vertebrate group, since the demise of the Dinosaurs 65 million years ago.
For the last 8/9 years, following the work of eminent field biologists-not sure if they can be named? We have all known the previously unimaginable scale of this nightmare.
The large Supermarket in question, through its investment of mostly "our money" has perhaps bought into this trade, without realising how significant an issue it is? They are not alone. Other multi nationals keen to buy a ticket to ride the new Chinese "super economy", are equally guilty .
Why is it important that the matter is not left to pass into memory of this group?
1. Remember in Aesops fable- The Tortoise won the race. After 200 million years, they need a cheer!
2. At this time, China is having the eyes of the world on it. Unprecidented numbers of western visitors and potential investors are actually there!
The cultural traditions, most of which respected are all under the spot light.
Whilst this might not change the world, remember that in our culture not so very long ago we too had (a) Public execution
(b) Cock fighting
(c) Bear baiting
and oh so many deplorable traditions- THINGS CHANGE-
EVERY LITTLE HELPS
Old 07-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #8
SteveV
Egg

Default From Nature to the Butcher

From Nature to the Butcher - the Fate of a Turtle in Vietnam
Education for Nature - Vietnam and the Asian Turtle Program have produced an impressive short film. From the perspective of a turtle, this film shows how it lives in nature, is found by a hunter and has to face destiny on a food market in China.

The video can be seen on You-Tube and graphically illustrates the problem Geomyda has outlined.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJdONb0OqM
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Geomyda
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
From Nature to the Butcher - the Fate of a Turtle in Vietnam
Education for Nature - Vietnam and the Asian Turtle Program have produced an impressive short film. From the perspective of a turtle, this film shows how it lives in nature, is found by a hunter and has to face destiny on a food market in China.

The video can be seen on You-Tube and graphically illustrates the problem Geomyda has outlined.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oFJdONb0OqM
Excellent short film, highlighting the problem!!
Old 26-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #10
Geomyda
Adult

Will have an update early next week!!
For those who have yet to sign the petition on the "Care for the Wild" web site, I urge you to give it consideration.