Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Tortoise Health and Vets

Old 24-08-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
LincsBren
Incubating

Default Urgent advice - tort not well?

I have been modifying the girls' outdoor enclosure. I have cleared out loads of weeds (it was becoming over-run and I could never find them!) and added a couple of bits - some slate areas and swapped a horrid plastic water dish for a nice stone one. I haven't added anything new into the environment.

Because I was remodelling it, they were in yesterday and overnight. About 3 hours ago I put them out, and they LOVE it - exploring all over. When I last checked on them (about 1.5 hours ago) Iris was munching on the cuttlefish bone (not unusual - they have one inside and one outside for ad lib access).

I've just gone back out and I could hear what sounded like a baby bird cheeping for it's mum - I wondered if the cat had somehow got on into the enclosure (he was playing in the enclosure before the torts went in) but when I followed the sound, it was Iris I lifted her straight out and she had a couple of bubbles around her mouth and nose, and what looked like sticky off-white liquid / gunk. I have carefully wiped around her nose and mouth (I wondered if it was cuttlefish residue and unrelated to the bubbles?) and she's very lively and seems quite happy, but the noise and bubbles were worrying me. She's stopped blowing the bubbles now but when she breathes out she's still occasionally making a 'squeak' sound.

I wondered if she'd somehow inhaled a bit of water? It doesn't look like either of them have been in the water pool yet as it's so clean, but I suppose she could have stuck her head in without trailing mud through.

Is there anything else that can cause this? All the weeds in the enclosure are grown from the shelled warrior mixed tortoise seed packs and I cross-reference what actually grows with what's meant to be growing using the tortoise table, so I'm sure that everything she could have eaten is safe for her.

Help please!
LincsBren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Herpard
Adult

I've found that if mine eat cucumber or anything wet they blow a couple bubbles.

She could of had a drink after some cuttlefish.

Have you checked her nares, are they clear?

She.could of maybe have eaten a piece that was a little too big?
Herpard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Gordon
Adult

Sounds like a slug mine are eating them at the moment and slugs love cuttlefish so it could be just the slime left on the cuttlefish
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Clarrybella
Egg

Heard a lot of this recently, relating to slugs...yet to experience it myself though x
Clarrybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Bindi
Super Moderator
Adult

I agree it could be a slug, keep an eye on her and give her plenty of baths just in case it was something nasty she ate
Old 24-08-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
amph55
Egg

Mine did that when he had been moved and was stressed. It is a respiratory problem a bit like a cold and if it doesn't clear up soon I'd see a vet.
Old 25-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
rocio
Hatchling

Aren't slugs/snails host to various unsavoury parasites? Do people who keep slug eating tortoises have them checked regularly for internal parasites passed on through slug eating?
Just curious.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
gwenq
Hatchling

my 14 year old tort has always eaten slugs, whenever he is outside he always has bits of slug hanging from his mouth, I got him checked via wormcount the other week and it came back clear so I don't think they are a problem.
gwenq is offline   Reply With Quote