Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Mediterranean Tortoises - Information & Questions

Old 16-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #1
shellonia
Sub Adult

Default Dislike of UVB light

I am very puzzled as I've used the big Arcadia D3 100watt for all last years hatchlings. set up temperatures, distance from bulb are uncahanged. My hermanns are fine, but my iberas and graecas are tending to move away and hide their eyes, either by going to bed or facing a corner.I have temporarily changed to normal incandescent bulbs to see if this resolves. Having had a juvenile who became seriously over-exposed a couple of years ago (my fault on that occasion using an old 'Realsun' lamp which are now considered unsafe) this is worrying me somewhat. Does anyone have an explanation and is it better for them not to have UV until they can go outside,which we hope won't be too long.
shellonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Clarrybella
Egg

Sorry can't offer you any advice but am curious about the "real sun" light. Does that include SolarGlo, do you have any knowledge/thoughts on these?
Clarrybella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
shellonia
Sub Adult

No it was a brand that was used about 10 years ago. I had run out of solarglo and Zoomed and just used it as an'extra'. It was a HUGE bulb highly silvered at the top but with a clear not frosted face. Nothing like that around now, they are all filtered in some way.
Old 17-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I have no idea unless it's just a weird coincidence
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
shellonia
Sub Adult

Bump - any advice from anyone out there..............................?
Old 18-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Shelled Lady
Juvenile

if the table is big enough for them to get away from the lamp and use an ordinary spot bulb, I don't see the problem. If the lamp is really the cause, then they can move away. I would suspect they just want to be out of the heat sometimes, it's probably nothing to do with the lamp.
Shelled Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
Arcadiajohn
Hatched

Hi,

All Arcadia lamps are independently accessed before they are offered for sale as safe. We always have and always will put animals first!

I'm really not sure why this would be at all, it must be another factor??

But if you are really concerned simply return the lamp to me at our office in redhill and I will gladly swap it over for you.

Please let me know.

John
www.arcadia-reptile.com/reptile-care-books

Please join us on Facebook, Arcadia reptile
www.Arcadia-reptile.com
Arcadiajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

when you say your hermanns are fine but the others are not do you mean with that same bulb or with different bulbs? if it's the same bulb then that is weird but if it's 2 different bulbs then it would be more likely to be the bulb.

I once tested a solarglo bulb that had more UV coming out the side than directly under the bulb, jonathan osric had a mega ray that did the same
Old 20-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

it could also be that they simply don't need or don't want UV at this time or that they don't want heat. The time of year might also have to do with it. one of my torts was hiding away from the UV and I replaced the UV bulb with a heat bulb and it came back to bask under it, Dazza had same with an iguana
Old 21-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
shellonia
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
when you say your hermanns are fine but the others are not do you mean with that same bulb or with different bulbs? if it's the same bulb then that is weird but if it's 2 different bulbs then it would be more likely to be the bulb.

I once tested a solarglo bulb that had more UV coming out the side than directly under the bulb, jonathan osric had a mega ray that did the same
I meant the hermans are fine with the same bulb - Arcadia D3- but then I've always found they adapt to anything. Yes I was concerned with them getting too much UV but they've been happily basking under it since last October.It's the same behaviour in my 2 ibera hatchlings and my 2 graecas actually and started about 3 weeks ago. I've done all kinds of adjusting height ,moving to the end of the table rather than side, to give better gradient but all to no avail! you just wonder what starts something like this off.Oh to get them outside in the real thing but in the meantime it's stressing me out.