Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 01:04 PM   #101
Gordon
Adult

Well after an hour of surgery yesterday I now have a hole you could get your hand in that is stuffed with sponge, a pipe on the outside and covered with a huge clear plaster to create a seal and connected to a vacuum pump.
The sergion said there was a lot of infection in there and couldn't understand why I wasn't referred two weeks ago when I had the ct scan.
Anyway I'm flippin exhausted as I cant sleep with this thing sticking out of me and a blooming pump making a noise like someone sucking the dregs of a milkshake through a straw.

Last edited by Gordon; 05-06-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #102
emma_mcraf
Adult

Sounds like they don’t want to sew it back up until the infection clears and it sounds horrible for you. Are you still in hospital?
All very well them saying they can’t understand why you weren’t referred back earlier isn’t it. I’m sure you and your better half and the girls must be feeling drained (no pun intended) by all this.

So glad you’re the other side of the surgery but it seems the saga continues. Hope the suction pump gets it all out and you can start to be more comfortable really soon. Sounds useless but keep your chin up the best you can.
Get better soon, G. xx

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #103
Gordon
Adult

I was out at lunchtime yesterday Emma I'm just about feeling normal after the anaesthetic seems to take a while to come out of you.
I was a bit miffed when the surgeon wanted to know why when they had found the hernia something wasn't done but I think it was when he looked under my DRESSING and saw all the green gunk coming out that made him say we need to operate.
I have some huge antibiotics which leave the most disgusting taste in your mouth all day but not many to take.
Not looking forward to Friday and getting it changed as its really sore to touch.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:15 PM   #104
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I was out at lunchtime yesterday Emma I'm just about feeling normal after the anaesthetic seems to take a while to come out of you.
I was a bit miffed when the surgeon wanted to know why when they had found the hernia something wasn't done but I think it was when he looked under my DRESSING and saw all the green gunk coming out that made him say we need to operate.
I have some huge antibiotics which leave the most disgusting taste in your mouth all day but not many to take.
Not looking forward to Friday and getting it changed as its really sore to touch.
A bit miffed? I’d have been raging but I guess you’re just so worn out with all this there was nothing to gain by losing your rag.
Are you left in a ‘wait and see how long it takes for the infection to go’ limbo then?
Urgh to the nasty taste. I expect you’ve tried mints and mouthwash. Can’t imagine you have much of an appetite.
Really hope they notice a positive change on Friday and it’s not too painful. Wish I could suggest something but other than taking some strong painkillers before you go, just try concentrating on your breathing to focus your mind on anything other than what they’re doing. It sounds so silly I know.
They really don’t take long to kick you out, drain and all. I expect someone else was in your bed as soon as they changed the sheets!

I guess this time if things don’t improve quickly you can just phone up your consultant’s secretary and get a message to him. Might not be the done thing but bugger that! It’s what I used to do when hubby had cancer!
Hope you can catch a few hours sleep tonight. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Old 06-06-2019, 04:07 AM   #105
Gordon
Adult

Well its now 3am and I have given up trying to sleep I'm so wanting to switch this bloomin noisy machine off and disconnect it but I know I cant.
I'm going to be on the phone to them as soon as 8 am arrives as its seems to be constantly making a sucking noise on a pulse if that is understandable which it wasn't when I first had it so I'm not sure if I need to change the cartridge that collects all the fluid which has some sort of granular stuff in it to absorb everything and is looking quite full and disgusting as they never really told me what to do with it.
Ok rant over going to watch TV now so I cant hear the flipping thing.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #106
emma_mcraf
Adult

Doesn’t sound right does it? Sounds like my fish tank filter with the granules in it, but even that isn’t as noisy as what you’ve got by the sounds of it!
Hope you get through to them quickly. Seems ridiculous them sending you home without any kind of instructions what to expect.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:05 AM   #107
emma_mcraf
Adult

How did it go yesterday, Gordon? xx

Old 08-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #108
Gordon
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
How did it go yesterday, Gordon? xx
It was extremely painful. The nurse who attended me was very nice but I'm thinking the surgeon who operated was having a laugh.
So they cut the old scar tissue away and made the hole even bigger and did what they call debrided it which basically is cutting all the dead and infected tissue away from inside and then putting a piece of sponge inside and then a piece of sticky back plastic over my belly cutting a hole in it over the wound and then sticking another piece on which has a tube coming out of it which is then connected to a vacuum pump.
And try to sleep is near on impossible as it makes a lot of noise on and off.
They sent me away with all the bits and Bob's for the pump and the spair sticky plastic cover which has the sponge in it.
Now the bit that freaked me out was the size of the sponge its about an inch thick and then 5 inches wide by 8 inches long which I had no idea as to how much was in me.
At this point I so much want to add a few pictures but best not. My daughter came in and took a few pics as the nurse pulled out what we all thought would be just a bit of it to create a plug but no the surgeon had managed to get pretty much the whole piece in and boy did it hurt when she finally managed to get it out.
So back there to see the consultant again on Monday and the nurse is going to come and put a new dressing on which I'm not looking forward to as with all that has happened that was the worst.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #109
emma_mcraf
Adult

I'm so sorry that you're suffering like this and dreading each appointment. It sounds horrendous.
I don't know much about debridement but I have heard of it. I know that granulation tissue is a good sign of the body healing itself and forming tissue to 'fill' a hole, but I suppose while this debridement is ongoing, there's not going to be any opportunity for the granulation process to begin.
The sponge being removed sounds just awful. I really hope that the combination of the sponge presumably absorbing the infection and the pump will soon get rid of this horrid infection so you can start to heal.
Can they prescribe sleeping tablets in the short term while the pump is disturbing you?
Really hope that there's an improvement on Monday and the consultant can give you some idea of a timescale for how long this all going on is likely to be for.
You're going to deserve a big treat when all this is over and you're back to yourself again. xx

Old 08-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #110
CherryBrandy
Adult

What a awful time of it you have had. Have they said what recovery period it should have been? we can give you suggestions on Netflix but it must be driving you mad not being well, so sorry to hear it Gordon.
Friday Night Dinner may make you laugh - my favourite is Wilson in it.
And only 200 days until Christmas....hope I cheered you up x x