Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 29-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #121
CherryBrandy
Adult

I have lots of grapevines and I have never seen my torts eat the grapes that fall. Personally, rule of thumb , if in wild then its up for grabs. I will feed fruit to those Torts that don't get upset stomachs. I know all their little digestive issues each and every one so I wouldn't give a tomato to those that it gives the runs to but the others can eat them (tumblers are good). CB
Old 29-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #122
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBrandy View Post
I have lots of grapevines and I have never seen my torts eat the grapes that fall. Personally, rule of thumb , if in wild then its up for grabs. I will feed fruit to those Torts that don't get upset stomachs. I know all their little digestive issues each and every one so I wouldn't give a tomato to those that it gives the runs to but the others can eat them (tumblers are good). CB
They like the leaves of the vines:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 07:04 PM   #123
Stellanne
Hatchling

What this thread is showing me is that no matter what keepers are advised are the best things to feed, there will always be some that can give conflicting opinions because of their results.
I must admit I look at the Tortoisetable plant base a lot and go by what they say mostly though I do take in board what others say on this forum so go 'off pist' now and again just to see what happens.
For example....on another forum (which I no longer frequent because of a severe difference of opinion) it was claimed that buttercups...leaf and flower ......was ok, in fact this particular persons tortoises could devour a whole lawn of the stuff without any problems. The tortoisetable says there are loads of toxins in this plant and tortoises have been known to die after eating...........is this a risk anyone is prepared to take x x x xhugs x x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #124
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
What this thread is showing me is that no matter what keepers are advised are the best things to feed, there will always be some that can give conflicting opinions because of their results.
I must admit I look at the Tortoisetable plant base a lot and go by what they say mostly though I do take in board what others say on this forum so go 'off pist' now and again just to see what happens.
For example....on another forum (which I no longer frequent because of a severe difference of opinion) it was claimed that buttercups...leaf and flower ......was ok, in fact this particular persons tortoises could devour a whole lawn of the stuff without any problems. The tortoisetable says there are loads of toxins in this plant and tortoises have been known to die after eating...........is this a risk anyone is prepared to take x x x xhugs x x x

The buttercup thing is an odd one. It seems some tortoises can eat them with no ill affect. But they are not good for tortoises in general.
I had a male that if he found them in my garden ( I always get rid of them) he had no affects at all. But its not something I would actually feed my tortoises.
Like most things, the odd bit now and again will not harm in general. But there are so many plants out there that can and will kill tortoises, so not worth taking the chance.
This male would also eat poppies (the big red ones) with no affect when he got into an area he was not supposed to be in. But I would not feed them to him.

Old 29-05-2016, 09:50 PM   #125
Stellanne
Hatchling

What do you think of the TT website Sandy..... would you check out plants on it before feeding x x x hugs x x
Stellanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #126
Ozric Jonathan
Adult

On the grape vines, my neighbour has a grapevine in her GH and each summer she gives me some leaves and the tortoises eat them. I think this is not at all like feeding fruit but of course it is a fruit plant leaf.

The tortoise table I personally think is a good source of info.
Old 30-05-2016, 07:09 AM   #127
vikki
Hatched

I think even the Tortoise Table have often said that they cannot be sure so tend to have to advise caution - a lot of their research etc. has to be based on evidence in humans and farm animals etc. which have a very different digestive system and rate to tortoises. I find their site great and use it regularly.
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #128
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellanne View Post
What do you think of the TT website Sandy..... would you check out plants on it before feeding x x x hugs x x
If you mean the Tortoise Table, then they research their plants well from a computer. Which is really good. And their lists like most are only a guide. You have to use your common sense too. Some of the plants tortoises would never come across, so really shouldnt be fed anyway. If they come across them it would be a one time thing, which in most cases would not be harmful. But if you fed said plants on a regular basis they might well do a lot of damage.
And just like us no two tortoises are the same, some will eat buttercups with no harm done, but some it makes really ill or kills them. So the TT like any plant list should be used with the info found and your common sense and knowledge on your own tortoises.
Just my own opinion.

Old 30-05-2016, 10:32 AM   #129
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikki View Post
I think even the Tortoise Table have often said that they cannot be sure so tend to have to advise caution - a lot of their research etc. has to be based on evidence in humans and farm animals etc. which have a very different digestive system and rate to tortoises. I find their site great and use it regularly.
I agree totally here:0)

Old 30-05-2016, 01:25 PM   #130
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

If a tortoise dies after eating a particular plant it may just be that they have an allergy to it just like some people have allergies to peanuts etc. Maybe some are allergic to buttercups and some are not, who knows
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote