Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 20-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
Neddy
Sub Adult

Flintus, I wouldn't put my tortoise at risk. There are nasty materials every where, the garden for one is just as bad.

I personally think it is mean to keep an animal in a table 24/7, even my frogs come out for a climb. As an owner that is my choice and all my animals are checked by the vet so please don't cast an opinion on an environment you know nothing about.

There is always risk no matter what you do. He is a tortoise who happens to be our beloved pet and I will take it personally if you openly tell a forum that I am keeping my tortoise in the wrong way and putting him at risk.

The whole point of the forum is for people to share their way, Ralph has lived in the enviroment he is in now for 6 years took a long time to get it right for him and by that I mean = no soil - it makes his eyes swell, no sand it makes him sneeze, ceramic bulb on the lefthand side of his table because if its on the right he wont go near it. A stick house because he likes to burrow in it, a uv strip because he won't bask under a spot type bulb, he wont eat picked grass (but will graze) who knows why but he went 4 days until we relented and gave in. And finally before we cut the ramp into his table he would climb on top of his stick house and fling himself off the side so we made the sides higher still climbed up and over................ I keep him the way he likes to be kept but with added reassurance that he has everything he needs at all times.

I orignally tried to follow everyones opinions too but now I feed pellets, let him roam, give him warm baths every other day and sometimes he likes to lay infront of the tube to the tumble dryer - he actually moves from under his heat lamp to this; why who knows but that is Ralph!

I get up and say good morning to him and check him before I go to bed everyday I wash his reptile carpet every day and put a new clean piece down; as you can probably tell I am upset that you feel I put him at risk because he isnt just a tortoise to us he is a pet........I haven't been on for a while I now remember why....
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #12
Pussygalore
Adult

could there be more humidity nearer the tumble dryer? a need rather than a want, how do you keep the humidity higher in the room where your tort wanders or am I wrong in thinking you have a tort that needs more humidity
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote