Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 20-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
jawdanf22
Egg

Default 9x2ft enclosure for red foot?

could i keep a red footed tortoise in a 9x2ft enclosure if not any other good species
jawdanf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #2
jawdanf22
Egg

or a cherryhead
Old 20-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
lonelylayla
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawdanf22 View Post
could i keep a red footed tortoise in a 9x2ft enclosure if not any other good species
Hi Are we talking about an internal enclosure with heat and light?

TG Terresteris 1:3:1 Apollo & Layla, Santa, Helpa & Unig
TG Iberia 2:3:0 Tonka, LJ, Persephone, Cleo & Clyde
Saffron TGG RIP Jaunary 2019
Jasper, Harry & Ruby pussy cats
4 ex bat hens.
lonelylayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #4
Neddy
Sub Adult

Mine has a ramp to come and go as he pleases in the kitchen/diner which is 17ft. His table is 6ft by 3.5ft but he is 6 and half and 11". If they are going to be in it all winter with no other space I would say the bigger the better depending on their size.

I hope that helps.

Thanks

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
jawdanf22
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonelylayla View Post
Hi Are we talking about an internal enclosure with heat and light?
yeah although on some days free run of downstairs (10ftx3)would be possible
Old 20-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Probably for both as it is quite long, but a cherryhead may be a better bet. Make sure there are plenty of hides, plants, levels etc. Can you maintain 70%+ humidity?
Btw, don't let them free range around the house, the conditions are not suitable.
1.2 Serrated/Forest Hingebacks
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...799#post610799
FLINTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 06:08 PM   #7
Neddy
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLINTUS View Post
Probably for both as it is quite long, but a cherryhead may be a better bet. Make sure there are plenty of hides, plants, levels etc. Can you maintain 70%+ humidity?
Btw, don't let them free range around the house, the conditions are not suitable.
hmmm that's a bit rude.......nothing wrong with my tortoise thank you very much. He can go in and out whenever he wants so how is that not suitable?

If he wants heat he goes under his heat lamp, he has uv and nutrobal and gets to stretch his legs rather then be cooped up so as far as I am concerned he has the ultimate paradise PLUS he has a garden all to himseld in the summer.....Think before you write FLINTUS
Old 20-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #8
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
hmmm that's a bit rude.......nothing wrong with my tortoise thank you very much. He can go in and out whenever he wants so how is that not suitable?

If he wants heat he goes under his heat lamp, he has uv and nutrobal and gets to stretch his legs rather then be cooped up so as far as I am concerned he has the ultimate paradise PLUS he has a garden all to himseld in the summer.....Think before you write FLINTUS
I wasn't referring to your post actually, but jawdanf22 @ 3.47 pm. Never said that anyone's tortoise was ill or anything at all, never referred to any tortoise specifically.
While 6 by 3.5 ft is a bit on the small side, since he gets out for natural sunshine often then he'll be fine.
The two major problems with 'free-roaming' are picking up dirt and nasty bits and pieces like hairs. Some of these can cause impaction or foreign bacteria may cause problems. The second is the environment, no where to burrow, no UV, almost certainly too cold and not humid enough.
Not sure how my original post was rude, your last line was a slight over-reaction considering my friendly advice wasn't even aimed at you.
Fish
Snails-Achatina Fulica 'Jadatzi', Limicolaria Flammea, Limicolaria Numidica, Archachatina marginata suturalis,
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale:
Old 20-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
Neddy
Sub Adult

Not even gonna react my friend I was just stating the fact that 'your' way isn't the 'only' way.

I have had Ralph for nearly 7 years and he has always roamed (we do have a clean kitchen floor). My kitchen temp is 21c so plenty warm enough and like I said he has access to heat, uv, water and food all of which are in his table.

Perhaps broadening your horizons is no bad thing
Old 20-02-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
FLINTUS
Juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neddy View Post
Not even gonna react my friend I was just stating the fact that 'your' way isn't the 'only' way.

I have had Ralph for nearly 7 years and he has always roamed (we do have a clean kitchen floor). My kitchen temp is 21c so plenty warm enough and like I said he has access to heat, uv, water and food all of which are in his table.

Perhaps broadening your horizons is no bad thing
Not saying my way is the only way, but in this case, I, and most other keepers on here would agree that it is the right way. No matter how clean the floor is there will always be some nasty materials on it.
If you want to go that way, so be it, but you are taking a risk that has failed many times for many people-a quick search on here will no doubt bring up a few incidents- and the advice that I presented is widely accepted.
Fish
Achatina Tincta

Jadatzi GALS for sale: