Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 21-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Azrellion
Egg

Default Just getting my first Leopard Tortoise just a bit of friendly advice from some owners

Hello,

So ive been looking into getting a tortoise for a few weeks now and have decided that id love to have a Leopard before you all pile on at me ive read up on the difficulties in looking after the species here in the uk because they are tropical and the heating can be difficult during the winter months. I am prepared to deal with this and have the required space and a room for it to sleep in if the weather drops to cold for its outside shelter (when its old enough ofc!). So im building my own tortoise table this week and im just wondering measurements and will a 1ft wall be tall enough until its old enough to go outside? or atleast for now its only 18 months old i dont know measurements yet im going to get that information today or tommorow!

Another thing is when it eventuality does go outside do i need to speak to my vet first to make sure its healthy enough and get any jabs done? also whats the average size for the outdoor enclosure area because again im probly going to build this as me and my father in law built a 16ft x 10ft insulated shed this year for my wifes studio so i dont think a smaller scale will be to much of a problem for me!

I also have experience with other reptiles obviously not to the standard of a leopard i have 2 corn snakes and a bearded dragon and have previously had an iguana and my parents did have a tortoise a few years back but i was only young!

I fully understand the care for them and know they can be hard work and can assure all you people out there that the tort will get all the care and attention it needs and as much space as it wants! Thanks in advanced for all the lovely advice you guys and girls are gonna offer. Also it would be great if anyone could maybe post an outside setup of there leopard tort enclosure or link me to a place where there are some for some ideas? Thanks guys and girls!
Azrellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
Neddy
Sub Adult

Hi,

Well I have a leo myself and to be honest if you have the space and the time why not!

We have a 6ft by 3ft table on the floor in the kitchen by the radiator, with a ceramic heat lamp on a thermostat and a uv strip through the middle:

I used to have soil and sand mix but Ralph (my leo) doesnt like it and it made him sneeze all the time,he has reptile carpet instead which makes it easier for him. You will figure out with trial and error what is right for your shelled friend.

As you can see there is a ramp as we let him free roam the kitchen/diner which is 17ft, if you lock him in he will jsut climb on something and throw himself over the edge!

Ralph is 6 and he doesnt stay outside over night this is a personal choice. Once he is fully grown we will build him an outdoor house but only for the summer, during winter months I will still bring him in because this is what he has always known.

PS - They are seriously fussy eaters he will graze but he will not eat picked grass.......

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sara
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Azrellion
Egg

Thanks for the reply Sara!

Well its official i just went and reserved him today hes 18 months im picking him up next Saturday as im building his table on Thursday so im not ready for the little guy yet! Ive got everything except for the wood and il try get some pics of him up on the website when hes fully settled in! thanks again for the advice and showing me your brilliant setup! How big is ralph? i know they all grow differently but i wonder an average of that age Thanks again!
Old 21-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
trusty
Egg

HI I recently bought our first tortoise which is also a leopard,, NO IDEA on age but she is about 14cm,,,, she was very shy and scared the first few days but now she doesn;t hide when we go near her and she will take food off us! GOOD LUCK with your new leopard... they certainly are GORGEOUS!!!
trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Neddy
Sub Adult

Trsty is right they can be very shy, Ralph doesnt like strangers he hides....

Well here is Ralph, I dont weigh or measure him unless I see a change in his eating or behaviour which hasnt happened (fingers crossed) he's about 10" now roughly:

Last edited by Neddy; 21-07-2013 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Added size
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Azrellion
Egg

Thanks Neddy ralph is amazing! cant wait to get mine home theres been a change of plan were looking for the wood today as hes being kept in a viv right now for easier viewing and we want him to have his freedom faster so were trying to get it all ready asap so we can get him home! were also gonna buy him some hides and plants to hide under until he feels safe to come out.

I agree trusty they are outstanding creatures i just felt drawn to the leo because i love there shell markings and the characteristics of them cant wait to get him home!
Old 22-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
longbowassassin
Hatched

Just luck with him they are well worth the effort. Can I recommend a few useful sites/tips for food.
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/s...ise_home_1.asp

Also,
http://www.reptilecentre.com/zoo-med...g_p4003047.htm
very handy for the winter months when fresh food is difficult obtaining from the garden.

We keep our Leopard in a tortoise table not a lover of vivs myself but others do manage with them successfully, just my opinion for what its worth mind you
If you need any further help just ask. Take care and enjoy him...
longbowassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #8
Azrellion
Egg

Thanks Longbow, i was actually looking into food, ive bought him some Mediterranean mix or something its got loads of flavors in pellet as recommended by the place i got him. I also bought him some Weed seeds and 2 plastic long containers which im gonna grow him some wild grass in so he can still graze inside on the colder days

Ive heard they can be pretty fussy as Neddy has already said! Il just try him with different foods but them links will come in very useful!!! Ive got a few care sheets too that show different diets i spose its just trial and error with there food as with most animals!
Old 24-07-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Sarah O'Flaherty
Egg

Hiya - my leo, Binki, just loves clover, picked or otherwise, yum!
Sarah O'Flaherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Catwoman63
Adult

how lovely, and Neddy, Ralf is gorgeous x

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote