Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 30-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
rabbit010
Egg

Default Minimum outdoor temperature for sulcata?

The outdoor pen for my sulcata is somewhat temporary as im building a shed, with light & insulation so that he can stay out for most of the year. At the moment however, the only protection from the elements is a small washing bowl insulated with dirt.

I always put him out when its sunny or warm, but how warm does it have to be for him to go out? Today for example, it is 15-16 degrees Celsius and overcast. So my question is what is the minimum outdoor temperature?

He's only a year or 2 old and about 350g
rabbit010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Mrs Frog
Adult

I think if it is under 2 years from my guide it says they should not be kept out of doors at all,I may let minbe go outside it was a very hot day ,does he have somewhere to go if it is raining heavily or cold?Are you in the uk?
Mrs Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
rabbit010
Egg

Yes im in South Wales. I only put him out when it's sunny and warm and he has a small sheltered area for when its a bit too cold or wet. He loves being out in the sun though and does far better when he goes out for the afternoon.
Now for example its 18 degrees and sunny with very little wind so hes out basking and eating, but as soon as the clouds come it gets a bit cold so I would bring him back inside, but then he starts to sulk!
Old 30-06-2011, 05:36 PM   #4
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I would say your 18c would be a minimum for an hour or so, after a warm up. 21c above would be nice. When they have there own hut/shed with heat they can come and go to warm up.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Pussygalore
Adult

The weather has been so hit and miss that my sully who isn't a year untill sept has only been out occassionally, I also have the added problem of his enclosure being TO HOT. He has a converted brick coldframe about 10ft x 5ft but it faces south and gets the sun most of the day, one end has a perspex lift up top the other wire and the other day it was just to hot to put him out there. Although I do wonder if there is a max temp as well as a low one and maybe I was worrying to much.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:06 AM   #6
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Do they require the same basking temps as Med torts?
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Pussygalore
Adult

I'm not really sure, I was told they need it hotter at night than the meds but I assume the part of Africa they come from wouldn't be that different from the med. I just seem to worry more about him being to cold than the Ibera there's so much conflicting advise I've been told all sorts, its like being a newcommer again. Whenever he does go outside he seems to hate going on the grass end and either runs around in the sand which he does seem to like or sits in the entrance to his house like he's on guard duty, most peculiar behaviour. When I take the hatchling Ibera outside they get stuck in to the grazing, not him.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
rabbit010
Egg

The other day was too hot for my sully too. I think I'm kind of learning when he can go outside by when he stays out and about. When it was too hot he went back into his hide area and stayed there until it cooled down, and when the clouds come and there isn't much sun getting through he goes in too. Though I don't have any perspex or glass so I don't think overheating will be an issue for me.

He also sits in the doorway when its windy, I always assumed that he was just trying to get out of the wind but stay in the sun.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
Pussygalore
Adult

its both sunny and cloudy today so I don't know if he'll get outside, it doesn't feel that warm to me although he does have a heat lamp that can go on. My adult Ibera aren't out much so its probably not warm enough.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
rabbit010
Egg

Good old British weather