Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 30-05-2011, 12:40 PM   #11
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

His nose was wet, blowing lots of tiny bubbles every 10 minutes or so and the occasional large one and sneezing so violently it could be heard across the room and he retracted his head with each one.

He explained RI and herpes were what he was looking for and asked lots of questions explaining we would treat this first.

The seller had this boy housed in a viv with 3 2 year olds also for sale and their viv was sat ontop of a larger one for red foots she was also selling - I know not to mix species but the vet warned even in separate vivs stacked ontop of each other that was too close for his liking!

This boy is so friends once picked up after a few minutes he comes out of his shell so was able to place a finger under his chin, he is now hiding away anytime anyone passes his table which is expected but a shame
Gemstone-Dragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

My vet never spoke of a nebuloser but I read about them on here last night so if this course doesn't kick it I will suggest it and am getting 1 off eBay anyway.

He spoke about injections or oral medication, I read that stars can be very finicky with even the slightest taste of anything on their food and to save trying that and failing I decided on the injections to treat him ASAP and right first time.

We spoke for an hour as he had finished surgery, I mentioned what I had read archived on here and he looked at the site himself too explaining nobody can know everything and the combined years of experience from people on here would only help him in his treatment of mine but also other torts.

He treats plenty of torts there just not many stars in particular so was meaning their individual habits.

He is a very good vet I have used for years and trust completely and I think the fact he is open minded and always learning only makes him a better one

The seller said she was selling the torts as she had a baby 7 days beforehand, was moving soon and has sooo much stuff, their breeder Andy apparently has 2 more for her but is holding them til after she moves.

The vivs were housed just inside her front door in the recess to the stairs leading to her 1st floor home but I don't know what she had upstairs as we talked at her door infront of the vivs - my boy is now in my living room where I can see him constantly!!!

On RFUK I noticed though she has a post stating in July she gets 2 more stars but also 2 pancake torts so I presume she was actually making cash for these!
Old 30-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Evie
Sub Adult

I am sorry to hear your little one is not well - quite a worrying time for you when you should be enjoying your new addition.

It sounds like you have a wonderful vet and that is half the battle.

I rehomed a Leopard with both upper and lower respiratory problems and after many different a/bs we finally found one that she responded well too and has been fine for a while now.

In my opinion the breeder should take responsibility for your tortoises vet bill as I am sure she must have been well aware that there may have been a problem.

Has she made a goodwill gesture?

I wish him a speedy recovery - he is a little darling.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

Thankyou very much for your thoughts, if you could find the time to list or PM some of the things you tried I would be very greatful, I know how to treat with Baytril as that's part of dragon care but without poo husbandry didn't expect to have to deal with this in my star so have only looked into it the last few days

I asked for a £50 contribution towards the vet costs refunded off the £350 price I paid for a 'healthy' tort.

I was told where to go, that the tort was fine while there and that my vet just wanted cash!
Old 30-05-2011, 05:14 PM   #15
Pussygalore
Adult

the thread on rfuk has become a 'slanging match' between the two parties and has gotten way out of hand, I feel talking/discussing another party who isn't here to defend themself is out of hand. I have reported the thread on rfuk in the hope it gets locked as no one wants to or shouldn't want to read open arguements with personal comments between members when we have a pm facilty.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

Baytril is a great antibiotic, but not good for Star tortoises. Most don't react well to it, so I definately wouldn't use Baytril on your Star.

Danny
Old 30-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #17
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

He is getting jabs in alternate legs every other day with Marbacyl (spelling?).
He had his second dose yesterday and I know torts react slower than other animals from the threads I have read so fingers are crossed!

I am buying an incubator - something else I learnt about on here - so if this course doesn't work I can try that.

Anyone with stars tried these and any tips?
Old 30-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Gemstone-Dragons
Egg

Incubator?? Lol nebuloser (sorry predictive text)
Old 30-05-2011, 06:45 PM   #19
roboticnat
Incubating

i've just about 2 days ago finished my corse of anti biotics on my stars
i was given fortum tho and not the stuff you mentioned.
they seem more active now but what i did after every injection give them a treat like a strawberry that took my little ones mind off what happened straight away and makes urself feel a bit better after sticking a sharp needle in their bum lol
but they seem more actuive and happy now after their treatment so hopefully urs will too.
mine are still under a year old
0.0.1 Sulcatta
roboticnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
Evie
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemstone-Dragons View Post
He is getting jabs in alternate legs every other day with Marbacyl (spelling?).
He had his second dose yesterday and I know torts react slower than other animals from the threads I have read so fingers are crossed!

I am buying an incubator - something else I learnt about on here - so if this course doesn't work I can try that.

Anyone with stars tried these and any tips?
My leopard responded very well with marbocyl - she had 2 injections and then orally for several days.
Evie is offline   Reply With Quote