Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 28-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
Kiyoko
Egg

Smile Leopard Tortoise substrait

Hi guys.

I have a 5 year old leopard tortoise and was wondering what the best substrate is to have in his indoor home? At the moment hes on newspaper but it makes such a mess when he gets it wet and he likes to dig around so he doesn't get my joy out of newspaper for that. All in all i dont think hes very happy on newspaper but im not sure what else to try. Ive had calci-sand before but the Tropics vet advised not to use that because he may eat it and i once tried a type of hay suggested on here but the smell was awful!

I need something thats easy to change preferably (makes removing the giant poos he does much easier!) and that he can dig about in and enjoy himself in when the weathers not good enough for him to be out and about in the garden.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks =]
Kiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
yagyujubei
Incubating

I use topsoil. I buy 40# bags around here for about $2US. I like it. But, it can be a bit of a mess. Not too dry to make dust, not too wet to make mud is the ticket. You have to get a couple of different types because they're made up from various ingredients. Sometimes get tiny bugs with it as well.
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #3
Neddy
Sub Adult

I use a mix of top soil and sand 30% sand 70% top soil
Neddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
Gem
Incubating

I would also suggest top soil and sand mix too, although many do not mix sand in now as it can be an irritant to some tortoise's eyes. wondering if the hay stuff you used may have been called "readigrass" as that stuff really pongs, and also when it gets wet it can harbour bacteria and cause harmful pathogens, so its probably as well you are not using that any more.
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 11:41 PM   #5
16 shells
Super Moderator
Adult

I think a little readigrass in a corner of a table can be benificial to a grazer, but the smell does put people off.
Old 29-05-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
longbowassassin
Hatched

We use pro rep tortoise life for our leopard hector.
longbowassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
littlestar
Hatched

i use orchard bark for my ind stars i like/prefer using this because its not flat and they have to use their leg muscules more to get through/over it.
would not just use one substrate try using different surfaces to stop them from becoming bored.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
tort two
Hatched

I use the old sand top soill mix,but be careful not to use too much sand,it gets everywhere and they end up eating a lot which can cause serious problems!
tort two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #9
Kiyoko
Egg

Thanks guys =] I think ill try top soil with a bit of sand added in. I worry that he gets bored so at least he will be able to dig about with soil. Does anybody put anything in for the torts to investigate? I got a hollowed out log which he quite likes to ramble through but then he started eating it so I had to get rid of it! Hes got some rocks and such to climb around on now. He seems much happier but he still far prefers being able to get out in to the garden when its nice.

Oh and yes, it was that redigrass stuff, it seriously smelt so bad!

Thanks for the advice everyone =]
Kiyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
onarock
Hatched

I keep mine outdoors year round, but in my hatchling enclosures that are off the ground I use a mixture of peat moss and topsoil or coco coir and topsoil. I wet them both down so the mixture barely sticks together. You dont want dust.
onarock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, susbtrait