Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 15-05-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
EJ
Adult

It appears that in the states you are required to list every single ingredient. In the UK that requirement does not seem to be as restrictive. I'm pretty sure the Komodo diet is more closely related to the T- Rex than what the listed ingredients show on the label.

I don't know this for a fact... but can find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
I think Trex is very good, and they content prety similar to Komodo, imho so if Taj will get used to T-rex then you can always substitute it with Komodo if needed.

T-rex content:
Product Description
Trex Tortoise Food is a complete balanced and vitamin enriched diet for your tortoise. Trex Tortoise food is highly palatable and a 100% vegetable diet that is also high in fibre. Ingredients: Oats, Oats Hulls, Corn, Calcium Carbonate, Corn Gluten Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, L-lysine, Chlorine Chloride, Natural and Artificial Flavours, DL Methionine, Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Biotin, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Niacinamide, Vitamin B12 Supplement, BHT (as a preservative), Copper Sulfate, Calcium Lodate, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxin Hydrochloride, Thiamine Monoitrate, Natural and Artificial Colors, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex (source vitamin K3), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate. Analysis: Crude Protein 8%, Crude Fat/Oil 3%, Crude Fibre 14%, Moisture 10%, Ash 15%, Vitamin A 19,000 IU/KG, Vitamin D3 800 IU/KG, Vitamin E 200 IU/KG, Copper 10 MG/KG.

Komodo content:
Superior taste with natural flavours.
High in fibre.
Ca:P (Calcium to Phosphorous) of 3.5:1
Ingredients:
Oats, Beet pulp, Maize gluten, Maize, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lucern, Minerals, Vitamins, Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSN, Titanium dioxide. Contains EU permitted colourants and flavours

Analysis :

Crude Protein : 9%
Oil: 5%
Fibre : 12.5%
Ash : 7%
Vitamins : A, D3, E, B1, B2, B6, B12, Niacin, Phosphorous, Copper, Omega 6, Omega 3
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy272 View Post
oh ok,
I was gonna get the komodo one to start with, but was not sure when i read that it was formulated for med torts.

Is that the one that you use? Or is there another formulated for tropicals.

Will let you know how they go dowm later on.
there are pellet types listed halfway down this page http://startortoises.net/diet.html
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
EJ
Adult

I've always thought that was the best Star Tortoise web page on the net and only seems to be getting better. It's written objectively and seems to be updated regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caledonia View Post
there are pellet types listed halfway down this page http://startortoises.net/diet.html
and
Old 15-05-2011, 11:57 AM   #14
littlestar
Hatched

If your thinking of pellets as a food source then i'd seriously look at Agrobs Pre Alpin testudo as an alternative to the others mentioned as this has nothing added its ALL natural weeds/grasses.

www.agrobs.de

this is a german site it may need a translator added ,but its sold in the uk from various web sites likewww. urbantortoise.co.uk

Last edited by littlestar; 15-05-2011 at 12:00 PM.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #15
EJ
Adult

Agrobs is mentioned in the article... in a very objective fashion. I really don't think it's a good idea to throw down the gauntlet... again.

To the OP... That article is probably the best advice you can gat that you can actually consider and use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlestar View Post
If your thinking of pellets as a food source then i'd seriously look at Agrobs Pre Alpin testudo as an alternative to the others mentioned as this has nothing added its ALL natural weeds/grasses.

www.agrobs.de
and
Old 15-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #16
littlestar
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
I can't see where the prealpin would be of any advantage...
Lucy272 was asking about pellets this is a pellet and its all natural nothing added unlike others.

EJ we all know your views on pellets this is advise as asked for or is your advise the only one that counts?

ALL options are worth looking at. at the end of the day the TORTS are the most important thing.
Old 15-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #17
Petrus
Banned
Juvenile

Quote:
I'm guessing you are anti formulated diets...

Yes they are... but if you are feeding a diet of weeds and grass... and want to add something else... why pay to add more weeds and grass...

I just don't get it
This is what I don't get. I'm willing to try the pre alpin, but really, what is the benefit i you are feeding weeds, grass, etc?
Petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #18
littlestar
Hatched

Quote:
I'm guessing you are anti formulated diets...

Yes they are... but if you are feeding a diet of weeds and grass... and want to add something else... why pay to add more weeds and grass...

I just don't get it
you are correct i am against, just like too be natural, she asked a question i added my opinion as do other keepers, its the same as vivs are bad, tables are good arguement, its down to other keepers advise/opinions its then your turn to make your decision

But if you dont get it why do you feed pellets its just the same.
Old 15-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #19
littlestar
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
This is what I don't get. I'm willing to try the pre alpin, but really, what is the benefit i you are feeding weeds, grass, etc?
the benefit is in the winter when you have 2 foot of snow covering your weeds.
Old 15-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #20
Alan1
Super Moderator
Adult

I'm not sure that dried weeds compressed into pellet form would be enough on it's own to see them through the winter, they are not the same as fresh plants and don't contain the same nutrient levels as fresh plants. Nutrobal could be added but then that diet would become a formulated diet by doing so.

I'm not convinced about the Pre Alpin, it is all grown in a region where torts don't live and has not been on the market very long at all
Alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote