Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 20-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #21
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyedge View Post
was reading this thread with interest,i got my baby star at the end of feb this year he hatched in dec 2010 and i am starting to worry a little about his weight.
I have been weighing him regularly since i got him and in the 3 odd months i have had him his weight seems to go up and down between 39 and 42g

he is in a 3ft viv with a 60w red bulb on a dimmer stat for night time heat which i set to 24 as he never sleeps under the heat source so i thought by setting it slightly higher it would be round about the correct temp of 20-22 where he actually sleeps.
For day time heat there is a 60w reflector bulb on a dimmer stat that keeps his daytime temps between 32 and 35 and a 30" arcadia d3 6%uvb striplight with reflector which is set about 10" above the substrate(i am going to move this a few inches lower 2day as i have read so many differing opinions on what a good height is ,it seems to vary between 6" and 12") am also going to order a new tube 2morro as i am aware its coming to the end of its life

He is fed on weeds from sw shop i have been growing in a green house i brought especially for him these include: grass,fibre mix,dandelions ,clover,prickly thistle sow and a few rocket leaves also gets a very light sprinkle of the dried flower mix every 2 or 3 days

He gets limestone flour sprinkled on his food 5 days a week and Reptavite the other 2 days he also has a cuttle fish bone in his viv although he dosent seem bothered by this lol he is also placed in his water dish every day before his food but he does trundle over and have a drink of his own accord now anyway

sorry bout the long post lol just been starting to worry about the weight issue
Knottyedge, what UVB lamp are you using? If it is the D3 T5 Arcadia lamps, then they have 12 months life time. I use one and think they are brill. If he is drinking on his own accord then he is doing good. My always drinks at will when she feel so. I have a small plastic jar lid with calcium flour on the table, as well as calcium stones. Once in while they will feel urge to consume some chalk, but not regularly. The weight 39- 42g is good for December hatchling. As it was said some will grow faster and some will hold back, but will eventually develop perfectly.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 12:45 AM   #22
Torterra
Sub Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by stells View Post
i must say... totally agree... i have been using it for a couple of years now... and its brilliant...
I started to use cypress mulch with new last year babies, and they... eat it!!! they chew on an odd bit of this mulch. Sometimes in the morning I find they have a bit sticking out of their mouth. Do they chew it in sleep?
I have Timothy hay in other table for bedding and reptile spagnum moss in ceramic pot 'wet' area.
0.0.2 Sternotherus Carinatus (Razorback Musk Turtle)
http://kinosternon-baurii.blogspot.co.uk/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Torterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
knottyedge
Hatchling

[QUOTE=Torterra;465987]Knottyedge, what UVB lamp are you using? If it is the D3 T5 Arcadia lamps, then they have 12 months life time. I use one and think they are brill. If he is drinking on his own accord then he is doing good. My always drinks at will when she feel so. I have a small plastic jar lid with calcium flour on the table, as well as calcium stones. Once in while they will feel urge to consume some chalk, but not regularly. The weight 39- 42g is good for December hatchling. As it was said some will grow faster and some will hold back, but will eventually develop perfectly.[/

Pretty sure it is the t5 will dig out the box to be sure he is pretty good at drinking when he wants really,i still plonk him in the dish with some warm water before he gets fed just in case tho
will try some of that mulch on order and give it a try
knottyedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #24
littlestar
Hatched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torterra View Post
I started to use cypress mulch with new last year babies, and they... eat it!!! they chew on an odd bit of this mulch. Sometimes in the morning I find they have a bit sticking out of their mouth. Do they chew it in sleep?
I have Timothy hay in other table for bedding and reptile spagnum moss in ceramic pot 'wet' area.
mine has a bit munch on it as noticed some hanging out his mouth the other day.
littlestar is offline   Reply With Quote