Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 10-09-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
newforestmum
Hatchling

Default worried need some medical advice please

Leopard Lodger

On checking her this morning I have noticed that she has a discharge on her eyes. Her nose is clean and dry. Could it be stress of moving or am I doing something wrong

She has seemed to have settled in fine. She is eating but I have not seen her drink yet. At night her lamp is in the bottom left corner she sleeps in the top left corner as I assume it is too hot directly under the lamp.

The thermeometer is in the top right corner opposite the lamp which I assumed would be the coldest corner. The lowest I have seen the temperature is 65 deg and that was about 10pm.

Food = She is not eating the Timothy grass that the owner gave me. On the first couple of days she ate some of the readigrass that is on the follow of her house. I have been giving her weeds daily plus I have seen her with grass hanging out of her mouth that she has grazed on from her enclosure. Also there are some bite marks in the Hosta leaves and the pansies have leaves missing as well.

Water = I have put her into her water bowl but she gets straight out. The owner said not too worry as he is sure she will be drinking when she is thirsty

Heat = The owner dropped off a power sun 100w uv self-ballasted mercury vapor flood lamp which we fitted yesterday morning. Before that she just had a heat lamp that I took out of my Ibera greenhouse. The temperatures that I mentioned earlier were with just the heat lamp. This morning about half an hour ago the temperature in her house was up to 80 deg. Last night we put a piece of Celotex on the roof of the house to try and keep the house warmer when I took it off this morning at about 8:30 the temperature was reading 70 deg

Activity = she tends to stay in her house until the temperature get to 100 deg. Then she comes out in to the run and has a wonder about. she eats and sunbathes. She normally comes out of her house between 10:30 and 12:00 depending on weather. She then spends most of day outside and returns into her house around teatime. Although on less sunny days she goes in and out of her house.

So what should I do? Need your advice please? I have left a message for Julie at HTS as well.

thanks

Lisa

newforestmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
piglet
Adult

Lisa not sure what to suggest your setup sounds fine except what are the night temps through the night do you think she may be cold for a long period well below 60 for any length of time .
The damp eyes could be a dust problem or irratation of some kind from the substrate , what did her previous owner keep her on .
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
terrypin
Adult

hi does your door close snugly at night leopards suffer from draughts although darrens suggestion about substrate sounds just as likely.
terry
Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
sandy
Adult

You could try a drop of codliver oil in the eye, this will do no harm, but could help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:17 PM   #5
newforestmum
Hatchling

had a bit of a worry when we got home from mums at 7:30pm as Leopard was in garden and not in her house. we put her back in her house and she came straight back out again

while we we wondering why Julie (HTS) phoned

checked temp in house coldest part of house was reading 70deg (about 26) Julie said it was obviously too hot for her. so after advice from Julie we have turned off lamp to cool things down a bit. but we keep checking temp as we do not want her to get cold.

Julie said owner was very pleased with my set up which was nice to hear. Julie was also happy to hear that she was eating as when she has been elsewhere before (holidays etc) she has not eaten. Again this was great to hear as it means she must be happy here.

Also told Julie about her eye. Julie is going to try and visit at the end of the week. told me to clean her eye off.

Have taken on board everything you guys have suggeated thank you

Old 11-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
newforestmum
Hatchling

went out this morning temp in house was in 60's with no lamp on and lodger was at 7:30 this morning. Tom put the lamp back on for her and within minutes she marched off outside. So taking the hint Tom turned it off again

back from school run still no lamp on temp in house now in 70's and lodger is still out in the garden

when should I put the lamp back on? as there is no point heating an empty house

Old 11-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #7
newforestmum
Hatchling

time is now 12:00 temp with no lamp in house is 100 deg (about 39)

she is sat in house now

Old 11-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #8
moormax
Incubating

I have you got a thermistat to control the temps, as this will turn the lamp on when required.
moormax is offline   Reply With Quote