Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 06-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
vivp
Hatched

Default redfoots

i have been speaking to someone that sells redfoot tortoise as i have been thinking about getting some they told me that i have to keep them in a viv, as you cant look after the probably in a table top, what would i need that is different from the hermanns, do i need to look after them differently

viv
vivp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
Henry-flash
Adult

Send a message via MSN to Henry-flash

I don't keep redfoots myself, but the person you have spoken to is wrong. No tortoises needs to be kept in a viv they can all be kept in open enclousures. Reds require a litte humidity which is very easy to provide by spraying the substrate occasionally. They also have fruit as part of their diet. I'm sure someone more experienced will be along soon as there are lots of great red keepers on here

The North West Tortoise Group
Henry-flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
aprillinda

hi viv

they live in a tabletop just like any other torts

play sand & soil dampened covered in 3inch playbark which is sprayed 1 or 2 a day to keep groung humidity at approx 80% this is read by a hygrometer

i have not found this difficult and maintained steady temp and humidity all through the summer

they can have 25% fruit like berries mango along with the weeds plus a little bit of protein once per week

hope this helps until the more experinced guys darren sahra lowe becks lisa come along

linda x
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
piglet
Adult

Linda i would say your experinced redkeeper your advse is good and clear not much i could add.
except be aware of imported tortoises read martins thread on cherryheads always buy UK CAPTIVE BRED
Darren

17 years old 25 years ago
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
aprillinda

thank you darren for your kind words

i am learning all the time and loving it

yes what an extremely sad story in the cherryheads

all of which could have been avoided if they had been purchased from a recommended uk breeder

linda
Old 06-09-2006, 08:52 PM   #6
converted

I wish that all these ruthless pet shops etc would read this site and realise the damage that they are causing!

Not only to the torts but to caring owners like Martin!

My advice is:

1. Read this site thoroughly
2. Read it again

..... then you wont go far wrong! :P
Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
sarah
Administrator
Adult

Hiya i find red foots much easier to care for than any other tortoise.
Food winter: 45% fruit 45% greens(weeds) 10% fungi such as mushrooms and chicken.
Summer: 90% greens (weeds) 10% fruit.

Their diet is so much easier to cater for in the winter. Humidity only has to be in the grown not in the air. You can never get a red footed tortoise too wet.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote