Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 27-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
EJ
Adult

It's the Forest Hingbacks that are biggest on the rain bit not so much so the grassland hingebacks like the Bells and Speke's. They do like their humid hides though.

Unless you have an actual thermostat (as opposed to a rheostat) the enclosure temperatures are probably changing with the ambient temperatures... they don't like this.

Mushrooms are a big favorite but if it was eating allong up until recently it is most likely something environmental.

Also try mixing the pellets with mango baby food as an enticement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair&Robyn View Post
I've made sure his hides are away from, and point away from, the light.

When I did my research before I got him it said they ate very little fruit. I did try him on some strawberry but he wasn't keen. I'll try a few more, along with some pellets.

I'll try the rain as well, and up his temperatures a little to compensate.

Thank you so much for the help =) Hopefully he'll come round a little.

He got in a grump a few weeks back; I realised his little green ducky he apparently has always had was hidden in a corner, and once I got it back out near him he seemed much happier - he's a bit of a funny one!
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
aljeff1981
Egg

Hello,
Sorry for the late reply I am just catching up with the forums if it males you feel better I have a western bells HB which is about 16 months old and also very shy and grumpy.
With the feeding I feed speedy every other day which he seems to relive better too and he eats a mixture of greens/weeds fruit etc but his fav is mushroom and for a treat babycorn!
I also spray him a few times a day which he seems to respond well too and will come out of his hides to get sprayed.
They can slow down in the winter which could be whats happening and keep trying the worms speedy will go wild after them.
I know looking after these can be stressful but my 1 year old son has helped to bring speedy out of his shell " excuse the pun " because he is always trying to look and will now come out to see us knowing he will get attention or food so just mix it up
they are very hardy breeds and adapt well.
aljeff1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
EJ
Adult

For starters... I found all Hingebacks very out going... once acclimated.

If its not loosing weight don't worry. It seems all tortoises slow down come winter or an extra cold snap unless you have the luxury of a heated reptile room(+80F as a base temperature).

I haven't come across a single species of tortoise that will not 'hibernate' given the circumstances. Hingebacks do practice seasonal slow downs in their native ranges.

If it is a wild caught tortoise... this should be its spring and summer.

Up the temperatures and try feeding a fruit flavored pellet such as moistened Mazuri/NutraZu mixed with banana or mango babyfood... if you would really like to see it eat. If its weights are good it might not need to eat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair&Robyn View Post
I took on a Bells Hingeback almost a year ago, and he's always had an odd routine with eating.

He'd eat for a couple of days, then not eat for a couple of days, which has been fine. I know they're a relatively shy species, so I've not bothered him too much.

He's not eaten for over a week now. I've bathed him and his temps are all good and he seems pretty normal, but I'm just concerned about him not eating.

I know they don't hibernate, but could it have something to do with the temperatures outside the viv(?), because he must notice a temperate gradient somewhere.

This is the first winter I've had him, so I don't know what is normal for him and his seasonal cycling.
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:09 AM   #14
esiotrot
Egg

Mine are fussy too but they can't resist mushrooms and water melon in particular.
They like squash too like cooked pumpkin, courgette etc.
They love worms and I give the odd pinky mouse too which they always eat.
I find the moister I keep them the better so their substrate is mostly moist and they have a deep water dish to soak in which one in particular loves.
esiotrot is offline   Reply With Quote