Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Non Med Species - Information & Questions

Old 14-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #1
trusty
Egg

Default NEW question on temperature!!

I have the bright sun desert UV and heat on during the day,, it is approx 30cm from the tortoise as recommended.. I have a temperature probe the basking end and one the cool end,,, the out (cool) probe is giving no reading,, the IN (hot) probe is only giving a reading of 74 degrees.... SO I am not sure if the probe or machine is not working OR if the temp is not hot enough but how can I make it hotter... If I move the bright sun closer it is not efficient enough..... Do you think maybe my temp machine is not working properly.. it is a digital one... How do I know if tort is cold?? She is eating and drinking but will still get IN her drink bowl...... its room temp water...
trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Merlin M
Adult

I wouldn't worry about her getting in the water, at least you know she is hydrated... I can't really answer about the bulb though as I don't use the combined heat and uv ones... but I guess you could test the thermometer by putting it in the fridge see if it is around the 5°C mark... (sorry I can't make head nor tails of °F)
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #3
trusty
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
I wouldn't worry about her getting in the water, at least you know she is hydrated... I can't really answer about the bulb though as I don't use the combined heat and uv ones... but I guess you could test the thermometer by putting it in the fridge see if it is around the 5°C mark... (sorry I can't make head nor tails of °F)
YES good idea thanks,, I will put it in the fridge...Nothing I can do about her getting in the water...... Someone said to not put water in and only put a dish in twice a day for her to have a drink but I would like her to have water when he needs it....
Old 15-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
Merlin M
Adult

Well if she is going and sitting in the water then that could be because she needs it so I would keep it there, as hydration is important so its good to know she is using the water and keeping well hydrated!
Merlin M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #5
Levi
Hatched

Well if the thermometer isn't showing any reading it must be faulty and I would switch it over to Celsius.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin M View Post
(sorry I can't make head nor tails of °F)
Same here Fahrenheit has hot to be the most stupid unit of measurement ever invented, so I'm not at all surprised that America still uses it.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
cherylahutch
Adult

It's a good thing she is getting in her water that's the best way for them to get a drink. They also absorb water through there tail vent so I wouldn't be discouraging her from doing it. I'm not good with Fahrenheit either not got a clue about it.
Old 15-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
trusty
Egg

The temperature probe on the hot end of house is working,, that is showing 26 degrees celcius so still not hot enough,,,, don;t want to move the bright sun down as it is already at the recommended height as its the UV aswell.... BUT even with the other ceramic on at the same time the basking spot is STILL not hitting the 30 degrees
Old 15-07-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
Box girl
Sub Adult

Hi If she's eating etc Ok I really would nto worry especially in this heat. I have turned all mine off

Money raised to Allwetter Zoo Muenster e6000 sent so far.

Have bred-red foots, yellow foots, eastern box, 3 toed box, ornate box, gulf coast box, common musk, elongated tortoise, red eared terrapin, cuora flavomarginata, cuora amboinensis, hermanns tortoise, horsfield tortoise, rhinoclemys.p. manni,
european pond turtle, reeves and spurs
Box girl is offline   Reply With Quote