Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 05-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #11
clairekentuk
Incubating

Yeah I did that, kettles saucepans etc. I think it was the rain that first got her going when she was outside so I dug the GH and wet with boiling water.
Had all 3 lamps on, with window open and she was sniffing under lamps from 9am until 2.30 when I went out.
I got back at 5 and she had dug the trial nest outside. This is with entire greenhouse full of wet soil with hills valleys and flat areas. Perhaps it got too hot for her but she was sniffing most under lamps.
All other torts were totally seperate as they were irritating her this morning.

Claire
clairekentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #12
Dazza
Adult

Claire,

Advice thats bound to work!!

In the morning go into the greenhouse, leave the lights off, open all windows and doors, and do not water the soil, have a little chat with all your females and tell them please please do not lay eggs this year as you would'nt be able to cope, tell the boys to really keep the girls on thier toes!! Then go indoors and switch your incubator off.. Leave them all day and i beat you'll have a enclosure full of eggs.

Animals always do exactly the opposite of what you want them to do !!

Darren
Dazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 08:38 PM   #13
clairekentuk
Incubating

LOL Ill give it a try Darren!
Not turning the incubator off, had it on every day since the first scare with the lost eggs. I know it only takes 30 mins to stabilise but it makes me feel better!

I dont want her to suffer she is really really stressed.
Still walking around outside sniffing and all the others are tucked up asleep. Im quite worried about her really. Ive filled her hole in the lawn and will water that too in the morning, and leave her to it again. Her urges seem real strong. She has been a little tetchy over the last week or so but since her trial nest 2 days before she has been far calmer. Now she is real bad, didnt notice signs so obvious as this before, the odd sniff of the ground, but she could outdo a dog on a walk.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
piglet
Adult

Claire
Some females take ages to lay pacing continuously trial digging for a week or two occasional longer ,
One of my ibera females has just laid last week after two weeks of trial nest digging and constant pacing from dawn till dusk but she did it in the end
Darren
piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #15
piglet
Adult

Claire
Some females take ages to lay pacing continuously trial digging for a week or two occasional longer ,
One of my ibera females has just laid last week after two weeks of trial nest digging and constant pacing from dawn till dusk but she did it in the end
Darren
Old 05-07-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
clairekentuk
Incubating

So maybe she will be ok after all then! Im a first time mum im going to worry! I best calm down, could be a long wait. Poor molly
Old 05-07-2006, 11:13 PM   #17
piglet
Adult

Claire i worry all the time the ibera female was a first time layer for me so i didn't no her routine but next time i will not be so frettful if she takes ages as i no this may well be her character
Darren
Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
Dazza
Adult

Claire out of interest!

Is she eating ok ?

Does she stop to bask at all or is on the go all the time ???

Is she aggressive to any of the other tortoises ??

And is she doing stupid things like trying to climb walls ??

Darren
Old 06-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #19
clairekentuk
Incubating

She is not eating, not doing too much stupid but she is barging tortoises out of the way that is why they are seperated from her during the day.
She is trying to climb walls but not very good at climbing and falls over. She was not really stopping at all, was on the go all the time yesterday but today she is perfectly normal, no sniffing, just laying there basking under lights. Its much cooler here today so maybe she not warmed up yet. It was hot at 8.30 am yesterday though they were up very early - presumably still charged from the day before. Molly was pacing at 10 pm still until I put her to bed in greenhouse. Never moved much in the dark before.
Ive wet the soil from kettle and not making any difference, but at least she seems more relaxed today.

Claire
Old 06-07-2006, 12:01 PM   #20
Dazza
Adult

That very interesting shes normal today.

I have had excatly that with one of my females, she was "unseattled" but not pacing all the time, for about two weeks, was not eating, and trying the climb walls, always wanting to take the direct route, rather the the easy route !!!

Then she dug her nest, feel asleep and walked off, since then she's slowly seattled back into her normal routine over about a week, and now she back to normal!!!

Hmmmm, anyone else had this, and did the female lay in the end??

I have had her x-rayed in march so i know she has none of last years eggs.

Darren