Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 08-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #21
clairekentuk
Incubating

Update: She is now building a nest again which she started at 4pm or before. She is doing well but its getting quite cool.
She is in the greenhouse and Ive closed the door so I hope she lays this time!
Fingers crossed for her.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:55 PM   #22
Becks
Adult

got everythink crossed for u babes keep us posted hope all goes well luv becks xxxxxxxxxxxx

horsfields ,redfoots ,southern and northan morrocans,
map turtle .

http://www.redfoottortoiseplace.piczo.com
Becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM   #23
tgidarren
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
That very interesting shes normal today.

I have had excatly that with one of my females, she was "unseattled" but not pacing all the time, for about two weeks, was not eating, and trying the climb walls, always wanting to take the direct route, rather the the easy route !!!

Then she dug her nest, feel asleep and walked off, since then she's slowly seattled back into her normal routine over about a week, and now she back to normal!!!

Hmmmm, anyone else had this, and did the female lay in the end??

I have had her x-rayed in march so i know she has none of last years eggs.

Darren
Yep,

One of mine did it springtime twice and still no eggs to date. I know of two other people who have had the same thing happen. It appears they are merely phantom pregnancies (so to speak). In both cases they both laid later on in the year as usual. Mine still hasn't, but there's time. Damn frustrating though isn't it?

All the Best
TgiDarren
tgidarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #24
clairekentuk
Incubating

She has just got up and walked away

Oh well. Ill give her a while and make sure she doesnt go back to it then Ill bath her.
I hope this isnt a phantom pregnancy. They are both sniffing today but so far only Molly has built nests. ( 3 so far)

Does anyone know what time of the year Graeca Graecas lay usually?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #25
tortoise_dude

sorry claire, can't help you, but fingers crossed she lays!
give her a nice hot bath, thats what sue did to herbie when she was gravid and i was at her house. and then, we had left, (i was really hoping to see her lay) i got a ccall on my mobile from sue,
SHE WAS LAYING!!!
I was desperate to see one lay!!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #26
clairekentuk
Incubating

Shes had 2 hot baths today, one this morning while I was waiting for the boiling water on soil to cool and one when I bathed the rest at about 2pm when the sun was out. Popped to the forest to get some weeds and when I got back she was digging.

Didnt expect her to lay, its quite cool here and the temps werent very high in the greenhouse even though the lamps were on, she was in the corner she went in the time before last to dig. So looks like it might be har fav place.
Perhaps she saw me peeping at her through the glass

I will try and contain myself from looking if there is a next time. All this talk of phantom pregnancies is making me think as the whole thing only starts off when I put the water on. If I miss a day there is nothing. Except the day where the rain outside started her off.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:21 PM   #27
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

The only times I've had false pregnancies Claire, the tortoises or box turtle dug a nest, acted like they were going through labor and then covered the nest back up. In the last few years that has happened 9 times, 2 box turtle and 7 tortoise. Just had my CB female Libyan do that. She dug a perfect nest and then filled it in with no eggs. It is her first time nesting though.
As long as the ground holds together well I wouldn't worry about keeping it wet. Try to give her a heat lamp in a spot where she has nested before and get the surface temp up to 110F. That might just do the trick. It does with my Egyptians and with the Libyans this year.

Dan
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #28
clairekentuk
Incubating

Thanks Dan, Ill try moving the lamps.
I have 2 powersun lamps in the greenhouse but none of them near where she likes to nest.
Ill have to remove the shelving from the greenhouse but im sure it can be done.