Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 18-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #1
summerangel
Hatched

Default Problems with temps in incubator please help

I really need your help please

Ahhhhh I'm struggling with the temperatures in my incubator with this heat.
It's a German made incubator Jaeger FB80. It's a lovely big incubator. I have hatched a few successful clutches in it.
This year I decided to house the incubator in the bedroom and with this warm weather, the upstairs seems to be a lot warmer than downstairs.
My incubator has a proportional thermostat.
This is the part where it's baffling me. It just has a dial that you turn for the temperature you want. Then when I happy with the temperature I stop turning the dial and leave it where it is. The other day I did this and it was working fine, then the next day wasn't as hot and the temperature crept up high (33c) because I had turned the dial to keep working the day before.
Anyhow today It keeps switching off as it's reached its temperature, but my temperature is reading 30c in the incubator and I want it higher, but I'm scared to death if I turn it up too much and the external temperature drops too much my incubator will carry on cooking the eggs.

My eggs are only 8 days old.

Could I carefully carry the eggs ( in their tub) downstairs and set the incubator up there.

Or would you suggest I plug my incubator remembering mine has a proportional thermostat into a pulse proportional thermostat controller that has a temperature dial on it.
Old 19-06-2017, 12:31 AM   #2
summerangel
Hatched

This is a picture from the Internet. Mine is exactly the same as this.
I was thinking I could try and pick one of the black round things from off the side and put the pulse proportional thermostat in the incubator that way? What do you think?
Will me tugging at the black air stopper thing hurt the eggs or shall i carefully take the egg tray out to do it.
What I'm trying to say is, will a slight movement of the tray be ok for the eggs?
Old 19-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerangel View Post
I really need your help please

Ahhhhh I'm struggling with the temperatures in my incubator with this heat.
It's a German made incubator Jaeger FB80. It's a lovely big incubator. I have hatched a few successful clutches in it.
This year I decided to house the incubator in the bedroom and with this warm weather, the upstairs seems to be a lot warmer than downstairs.
My incubator has a proportional thermostat.
This is the part where it's baffling me. It just has a dial that you turn for the temperature you want. Then when I happy with the temperature I stop turning the dial and leave it where it is. The other day I did this and it was working fine, then the next day wasn't as hot and the temperature crept up high (33c) because I had turned the dial to keep working the day before.
Anyhow today It keeps switching off as it's reached its temperature, but my temperature is reading 30c in the incubator and I want it higher, but I'm scared to death if I turn it up too much and the external temperature drops too much my incubator will carry on cooking the eggs.

My eggs are only 8 days old.

Could I carefully carry the eggs ( in their tub) downstairs and set the incubator up there.

Or would you suggest I plug my incubator remembering mine has a proportional thermostat into a pulse proportional thermostat controller that has a temperature dial on it.

Moving the eggs and incubator to a cooler more staple place, is far better than where it is now:0)
Moving wont hurt the eggs, it might delay the incubation time a little, but if they are fertile then it wont hurt them:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #4
summerangel
Hatched

Thanks Sandy that's handy to know that I could carefully moved the eggs and incubator.

I had a pulse proportional thermostat lying around so I've overridden the thermostat on the incubator and I'm letting the pulse proportional thermostat gauge the temperature and this is more precise and is hardly fluctuating at all. It will be interesting to see if it still works ok when the temperatures fall after this mini heatwave.