Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Housing

Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
roedeane
Egg

Default Hemp v soil/sand mix

What are your opinions on these as substrates for Hermanns? I have always used sand/soil but am seeing more and more pictures of them on hemp and wondered which would be best for my torts,Yvette
roedeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
veebee
Sub Adult

I use a mixture of both, hemp one end, and sand/soil the other, separated by large pebbles, it give them variety then!!

Vivienne
veebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
loopey lass

Default soil

i was using both, hemp at one end then soil and sand at the other but i have not decided to just use soil and sand, it mirrors more what they are used to in their natural habitat in the wild, is easier for them to walk on etc, i add variety in their enclosure by logs and things that they can climb over they seem to love it
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 PM   #4
nina
Adult

Like Viv, I use half sand/soil and half hemp, separated by flat stones. It's nice because it gives them different textures to walk on. I used to use only sand/soil but found that if it was dry, it was too loose for my horsefield to burrow in, and even though I dampened it a bit to make it firmer, he only nestled down a half-inch or so. He loves to burrow in the hemp, but loves to bask on the sand/soil, so that combination works well for me.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #5
saucysqueezy
Incubating

We've had everything on the market I think lol

On advice of Darren et al we got a soil/sand mix, hemp and a slightly stoned area so three different substrate environments we did buy some wood chips that were coloured but got rid of them after 3 weeks as they dyed the tortoises' legs a strange orange colour, so avoid anything with any sort of colourant in!
Old 12-01-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
KayMarie
Sub Adult

Send a message via MSN to KayMarie

I'm having a tortoise table built this week and should hopefully be using the substrate i use now, slate/stones plotted about and i have some trays of soil that i am growing wweds in so i was going to put that in for them to graze on? Not loads, just a few seeds. I will probably add different types as i go along but the substrate i use now works well and i have a huge pile in one corner that he burrows into...
KayMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
roedeane
Egg

Thanks, it's interesting to learn what others use. I have ordered some hemp to give it a try instead/as well as sand/soil - I'll let you know what Martin thinks - Molly's still in the fridge! Yvette
roedeane is offline   Reply With Quote