Shelled Warriors Forums
 

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Edible Weeds, Diet & Suppliments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
pwinkie03
Member
Hatchling
 
pwinkie03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 548
Default More than just lettuce...

Hi all,

I've had my pancakes for 9 days now, they have been eating for the past 3 days (wahoo) and i just had a few questions about what to feed them.

Currently i'm feeding about 75% lettuce variety (from a living lettuce mix that i'm growing) and then making up the other 25% with a mix of various weeds, aloe, optunia, soaked grass pellets and dried flowers. they also have lots of spiderplants in their table. i have some pre-alpein on order to try, and am in the process of growing new weeds!

the problem is they both only eat the lettuce. (which is why i give more of it at the moment as when i only offered weeds they wouldn't touch it).

is this going to be a problem? i know they have only been eating a few days, but they have become really confident eaters quite fast, is there anything else i could add to tempt them away from just lettuce? id be very interested to see what the other pancake keepers feed their torts too?

Thanks in advance! Louise
__________________
1.0.0 Common Musk Turtle: You can find out more about Stinkpot at... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003275610357

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely


pwinkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
NATURALIS
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: cheshire
Posts: 3,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinkie03 View Post
Hi all,

I've had my pancakes for 9 days now, they have been eating for the past 3 days (wahoo) and i just had a few questions about what to feed them.

Currently i'm feeding about 75% lettuce variety (from a living lettuce mix that i'm growing) and then making up the other 25% with a mix of various weeds, aloe, optunia, soaked grass pellets and dried flowers. they also have lots of spiderplants in their table. i have some pre-alpein on order to try, and am in the process of growing new weeds!

the problem is they both only eat the lettuce. (which is why i give more of it at the moment as when i only offered weeds they wouldn't touch it).

is this going to be a problem? i know they have only been eating a few days, but they have become really confident eaters quite fast, is there anything else i could add to tempt them away from just lettuce? id be very interested to see what the other pancake keepers feed their torts too?

Thanks in advance! Louise
i think i already answered this on another site , i would try to cut out the lettuce take a look on the tortoise table site for weeds
__________________
Home bred tortoise's available all year round,
Hermanns , spur-thighed ( ibera ) pm for details
NATURALIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

You might want to look at the complete diet pellets such as NutraZu, Mazuri, Pretty Pets, Monster diet, Komodo or any of the like as an added supplement to the diet. It takes a huge amount out of the guesswork of providing good nutrition for the tortoises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinkie03 View Post
Hi all,

I've had my pancakes for 9 days now, they have been eating for the past 3 days (wahoo) and i just had a few questions about what to feed them.

Currently i'm feeding about 75% lettuce variety (from a living lettuce mix that i'm growing) and then making up the other 25% with a mix of various weeds, aloe, optunia, soaked grass pellets and dried flowers. they also have lots of spiderplants in their table. i have some pre-alpein on order to try, and am in the process of growing new weeds!

the problem is they both only eat the lettuce. (which is why i give more of it at the moment as when i only offered weeds they wouldn't touch it).

is this going to be a problem? i know they have only been eating a few days, but they have become really confident eaters quite fast, is there anything else i could add to tempt them away from just lettuce? id be very interested to see what the other pancake keepers feed their torts too?

Thanks in advance! Louise
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Easter Bunny
Senior Member
Adult
 
Easter Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kent
Posts: 5,337
Default

Mine love the NutraZu mixed with Pre Alpin, they scoff the lot and you can hear them chomping away
__________________
Lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

That's a perfect mix. I wish I could get the Pre Alpin over here in the states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNNEEASTER View Post
Mine love the NutraZu mixed with Pre Alpin, they scoff the lot and you can hear them chomping away
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
pwinkie03
Member
Hatchling
 
pwinkie03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 548
Default

well already got the pre alpin on order... so now i need to go and *looks for pellets* thanks, hopefully they wont turn their noses up! Louise
__________________
1.0.0 Common Musk Turtle: You can find out more about Stinkpot at... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003275610357

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely


pwinkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
EJ
Senior Member
Adult
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,277
Default

I think NATURALIS sells Mazuri(UK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwinkie03 View Post
well already got the pre alpin on order... so now i need to go and *looks for pellets* thanks, hopefully they wont turn their noses up! Louise
__________________
Ed
Tortoise Keerpers @
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Tortoise_Keepers
and
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/284442591651347/
Trying to keep the fun in Chelonian care
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Easter Bunny
Senior Member
Adult
 
Easter Bunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Kent
Posts: 5,337
Default

I got mine from a members on here http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=47095
and
http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=46052
__________________
Lynne x
Easter Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
pwinkie03
Member
Hatchling
 
pwinkie03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 548
Default

thank you thats really helpful Louise x
__________________
1.0.0 Common Musk Turtle: You can find out more about Stinkpot at... http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003275610357

0.0.2 Pancake Tortoise - You can see more of Sheldon, Swarley and Spartacus (RIP) at... http://www.youtube.com/user/SheldonandSwarely


pwinkie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
anna m
Senior Member
Adult
 
anna m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 4,091
Default

Lettuce is about all there is at the mo
when we do get some weeds you probably won't get much problem to eat dandilions
too much is bad for them of course
then just try them with a variety
my boys love jack by the hedge
petuna flowers too
__________________
One by one the Penquins steal my sanity
anna m is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diet, food, pancake


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.