Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Breeding and Incubation

Old 02-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
burnt toast
Adult

Default Thought this might be interesting.. Failed twin

So I have been staying at my Sisters house over an hour away (dog, house & parents sitting, another long story)

Anyway that's relevant as hubby is tort sitting (much to his horror!) So yesterday evening I ask him to check the incubator as I'm expecting an egg to hatch... No, oh yes there's a cracked egg shell but no baby! Well look through the dish then! Oh yes I've found him... OK has he got a yolk sac? .... Erm don't know? Anything like a bubble, yellow, orange, red? No but got like a bobble. We eventually decided it could be a blob of jelly that was covered in mud....

http://imgur.com/a/t2LH8iG

Arrived back home today to find... A joined twin that had obviously failed very early on. Amazing how much development & detail is there so early on.

The successful twin seems fine. I have tied off but not cut the cord.
burnt toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #2
sandy
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt toast View Post
So I have been staying at my Sisters house over an hour away (dog, house & parents sitting, another long story)

Anyway that's relevant as hubby is tort sitting (much to his horror!) So yesterday evening I ask him to check the incubator as I'm expecting an egg to hatch... No, oh yes there's a cracked egg shell but no baby! Well look through the dish then! Oh yes I've found him... OK has he got a yolk sac? .... Erm don't know? Anything like a bubble, yellow, orange, red? No but got like a bobble. We eventually decided it could be a blob of jelly that was covered in mud....

http://imgur.com/a/t2LH8iG

Arrived back home today to find... A joined twin that had obviously failed very early on. Amazing how much development & detail is there so early on.

The successful twin seems fine. I have tied off but not cut the cord.
Just sterilize a pair of scissors and cut the cord. Better for the surviving tort:0)

http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/tortoisefriends
sandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
emma_mcraf
Adult

Really fascinating photos, Lynn. It is amazing how quickly they become formed and have their shell and limbs, etc. Hope the surviving twin goes on with good health.
As for leaving your hubby with an incubator...brave lady!
Hope all’s well with the extended family. I can read the stress levels through your lines. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #4
CherryBrandy
Adult

Why use 7000 words when men can use 7 that's what I am told ! Congratulations Lynn, lovely little fellow. amazing photos, good advice from you and sandy CB
Old 05-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
tortydat
Sub Adult

The only time I ever had twins hatch was when I left my husband in charge! He did very well separating them but nearly had a nervous breakdown doing it. Very interesting picture and hope the surviving twin does well.
tortydat is offline   Reply With Quote