Old 09-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #21
vikki
Hatched

Hi Daryn - have sent a pm with details but if you need anymore info let me know
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #22
Daryn
Hatchling

Thanks Vikki just read up on what they have done. Although they have set up for indoor use my idea was just to use the tube heater this year in their outside coldframe instead of the lamps when it gets cold to see how it goes.

Im yet to start anything new on mine as I have two enclosures to build for other people one will be getting built next week.

My travel site and forum www.majorcaforum.com
Daryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #23
vikki
Hatched

Keep us posted on how it goes
vikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 06:24 PM   #24
Anyfoot
Incubating

Hi all. I keep 2 species of torts. Kinixys homeana hingebacks and redfoots(northerns and Brazilians). Both species are tropical and do not hibernate. I keep all my torts in the closed chamber method. I have to to get the 80% + humidity levels that are required. Both these species endure rainforest type weathers within an annual climate. Yeah there are some periods for the redfoots where it's hot and arid, but then again lush fruits and green foliage is not in abundance during these arid periods so they don't grow. During seasons that provide fruits etc and humidity is high they will grow more, because of high humidity and rainfall they won't pyramid. If I was to feed my redfoots in dry conditions you would get pyramiding.
In my vivs I have a CHE at one end with a fluorescent uvb tube. This gives an ambient temp and no hot spots. So at the heated end it's at 30°c and at the cool end it's 27°c.
In my big viv I have a rain system on a timer.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #25
Lynnie Lou
Incubating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyfoot View Post
Hi all. I keep 2 species of torts. Kinixys homeana hingebacks and redfoots(northerns and Brazilians). Both species are tropical and do not hibernate. I keep all my torts in the closed chamber method. I have to to get the 80% + humidity levels that are required. Both these species endure rainforest type weathers within an annual climate. Yeah there are some periods for the redfoots where it's hot and arid, but then again lush fruits and green foliage is not in abundance during these arid periods so they don't grow. During seasons that provide fruits etc and humidity is high they will grow more, because of high humidity and rainfall they won't pyramid. If I was to feed my redfoots in dry conditions you would get pyramiding.
In my vivs I have a CHE at one end with a fluorescent uvb tube. This gives an ambient temp and no hot spots. So at the heated end it's at 30°c and at the cool end it's 27°c.
In my big viv I have a rain system on a timer.
Any pics?
Old 10-08-2016, 11:57 PM   #26
Anyfoot
Incubating

Hi. Have a look in pictures section. I posted some.
Anyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #27
Yvonne G
Hatched

I realize this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add my two cents. The idea of a "closed chamber" originated in Germany. In the States, Jerry Fife and his brother in Arizona took it up and started talking about it. Several U.S. keepers took it upon themselves to experiment with their sulcata and leopard babies and showed the experiments online.

The reasoning behind the closed chamber is this: Sulcatas and leopards hatch out in the monsoon season when there is plenty of greenery, lots of hiding places and it's warm/hot and humid, with the ground being either wet or very damp. This helps the sulcata and leopard babies to grow smoothly and more or less eliminates pyramiding in these species.

Keeping hatchling sulcatas and leopards in a closed chamber makes it easier to keep the environment moist and humid. The covered enclosure keeps the cooler air from your house out and the warm, moist air inside.

I have been keep hatchling leopard tortoises in a Vision Cage until my partner takes them to sell, and the babies all grow smoothly and thrive in the warm, humid environment. There is no basking light. There is no hot side/cool side. The whole interior of the enclosure is 80-85F degrees, with a tube type fluorescent UVB light and a radiant heat panel for heat.

My method for raising leopard babies was hot and dry. I kept them on alfalfa pellets under a hot mercury vapor bulb. I soaked them once a week. Needless to say, my leopard babies were bumpy. It was hard for me to change. All of us here in the turtle club raised babies this way. It was the way to do it. But, change I did, and I'm so happy I did.

We should all learn and grow. Just because we've been doing it the same way for years doesn't mean that way is the right way.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #28
CherryBrandy
Adult

Hello Yvonne, thank you for this , its very interesting. I don't think a lot of us in the UK have tried it and as you say if it works well then time for change. I wonder if it would be so successful here though because of the ambient temps but I suppose you are replicate anything anywhere.... I do add lumisol to all my houses just to create some humidity during the summer but nothing on this scale of course and for your spur....please do keep posting ! CB
Old 01-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #29
Yvonne G
Hatched

I've got to make one more post before I can post pictures, so this is the one more. I'll post pictures of my closed chambers right after this post.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #30
Yvonne G
Hatched

Well, I'm sorry, but I guess I won't be able to show you my closed chambers. I don't see where I can make an attachment. I'll figure it out eventually.