Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Tortoise Information > Evolving Husbandry

Old 18-04-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you. I have got him for the time being a wooden tort house which he can climb into. It has a felt roof and on little legs slightly raised. Ideally I would like a larger open door home which has an inclosed snug area and attached a green house effect space. I have a very safe garden. I will be letting him have the garden as his and over the next few weeks I am going to be planting more for him. If I made a wooden tort house in the garden could I put heat or lamp in there? I have a very small house and he is a giant. I just want him to be happy
JawsMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #12
Pussygalore
Adult

yes you could providing you have enough head room to make it safe, you could use something simple like a ceramic heat bulb which gives off no light and have it on a thermostat so it doesn't get to hot and switches on when its cold. The heat bulb must be well above both tort and his bedding hence the head room, you need a good foot or more above the torts back and any bedding and a kennel type house with an opening roof makes it easier to clean and put fittings in, also a ramp that closes or a door and ramp as I'd still shut him in at night.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
JawsMew
Egg

Thank you that's very helpful. Yes the door has a ramp which I can shut at night. With regards to bedding, what is best? Is straw okay? That's what his previous owners had him sleep on.
Old 19-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #14
Suze65
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawsMew View Post
Thank you that's very helpful. Yes the door has a ramp which I can shut at night. With regards to bedding, what is best? Is straw okay? That's what his previous owners had him sleep on.
Put some top soil in the box , hopefully he will dig into this a bit make it a few inches deep. Personally I also put in some scrunched up news paper for them to hide under ( just my choice, opinions may vary ) avoid hay as it has spores in it that can cause respiratory problems. Ready grass is ok from pet shops.

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #15
JawsMew
Egg

All very helpful I have convinced the hubby to knock a door for him low down in the corner of the brick built garage. I will then have a set up inside for him which can have a lamp. The garden is his - but I think I will feel better knowing that he will have a safe, warm, house which he can retreat to. Thank you all.
Old 19-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #16
Suze65
Adult

Ah yes the art of convincing the hubby to do and make tortoise things he will get used to it, as you convince him to make more and more essential things for this most important member of the family

3 THB, Sammy, Jemima, & Phoebe
7 Marginated, Tabitha, Ptolome, Tatiana, Noah,Lottey, Lulu & Poppy
1 TGG (Emma) RIP Feb 2012
Suze65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 03:39 PM   #17
Pussygalore
Adult

I always used readigrass and the best and chepaest way of buying it is by the bale from a horse feed shop, you'll pay under £10 for big bale which will keep forever if wrapped back up and in a dry place out of the sun. A little tiny bag of the same from say Pets at Home will cost a fortune in comparison, readi grass also makes a good bedding for guinea pigs, rabbits etc and is just freeze dried chopped grass so can be safely eaten. Good quality hay can be used but it must be dust free and any wet removed as it can go mouldy, readi grass is safer.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote