Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 14-03-2015, 10:37 PM   #11
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by becciwales View Post
Thank you Emma.

I totally agree Bev. The one saving grace about losing your mind is that you don't know once it gets to a certain stage. When it's your body letting you down its even more cruel to the patient suffering. Both are heartbreaking to watch xx
I agree. My dad has suffered a complete loss of dignity since he suffered two large strokes 6 years ago. He's really gone downhill in the past couple of years and is currently in a care home while he recovers from a broken shoulder. He requires help with all his personal care, which he hates, and he's dying to get home but he needs to accept he needs carers on a permanent basis, which isn't going down too well. In all honesty I've been campaigning he has carers for the past 18 months, all to no avail, but his fall and broken shoulder has forced the issue. I've often wished that he would develop dementia to save him the indignity of it all. Knowing what his body can no longer do, that people don't understand what he says and feeling the frustration of the loss of his independence has been really hard for him and for us all as he can be extremely cantankerous!!
I ensured he had the opportunity of choosing a DNR, which he absolutely went for. He would not want to be resuscitated and come back to this existence. He has told me he's just sat waiting for the 'pearly gates', which is pretty sad but he is ready for when his time comes. He just seems to have the constitution of an ox - 4 heart attacks, 2 strokes, pneumonia, food poisoning and resulting renal failure, diabetes, numerous falls......he just keeps going like the Duracell Bunny!!

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine
Budgies: Jasper, Ivo, Otis, Henry, Louie and Luca
Doggies: 1.1.0 Chester and Lottie

emma_mcraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Catwoman63
Adult

Emma, I totally understand, we decided on a DNR and no feeding tube, it was a very very hard decision, your dad is ready and as hard as it is for the family he feels he no longer wants to just exist, it's no life and I think people should have a choice to want to end it, we put animals to sleep when they are suffering so why should humans suffer a long slow deteriation as well, I do really feel for you xxxxx

0.3.0 - T Horsfieldii (Xena, Zelda & Lilly)
2.2.0 - TG Terrestris (Zeus, Astreus / Zagreus & Alexia)
1.2.0 - Zebra Finches (Gunner / Bonnie & May)
0.1.0 - SBT (Hazel)
1.0.0 - FBD (Ted)
Catwoman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #13
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman63 View Post
Emma, I totally understand, we decided on a DNR and no feeding tube, it was a very very hard decision, your dad is ready and as hard as it is for the family he feels he no longer wants to just exist, it's no life and I think people should have a choice to want to end it, we put animals to sleep when they are suffering so why should humans suffer a long slow deteriation as well, I do really feel for you xxxxx
I agree. My son is a trainee veterinary nurse and he says the same thing. Sometimes the dogs are almost asking their owners to let them go with the look in their eyes as they've had enough. It's time for us to debate this properly in parliament and allow people to be allowed the choice to choose to die if they are suffering and have no future to look forward to. I really admire all those with ALS/MND. it must be a horrid slow death.
My heart goes out to you too Bev, but you made the right decision. x

Testudo Hermanni 5.12.2:Theo, Tamara, Tabitha, Harriet, Isabelle, Clara, Oscar, Hugo, Oliver, Florence, Arabella, Esmé, Aurelia, Felicia, Claudia, Atticus, Celestia, Amaris, Tristan and Clementine

Last edited by emma_mcraf; 15-03-2015 at 11:29 PM.
Old 16-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #14
becciwales
Adult

My heart goes out to both of you!
My Gran is 92 tomorrow, 12 weeks since my Gramp went and she is waiting too. She wants to go to be with him, whatever we believe, they believe they will be together on the other side and that's all that matters.
We are kinder to our animals, something does need to change but there needs to be VERY strict guidelines and multiple doctors involved in the decision, imagine the possible outcomes :-/

1:2:0 Testudo Hermanni Boettgeri -
Darwin, Galileo, and Einstein.

Archimedes (THB) RIP June, 2018
becciwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #15
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
My heart goes out to both of you!
My Gran is 92 tomorrow, 12 weeks since my Gramp went and she is waiting too. She wants to go to be with him, whatever we believe, they believe they will be together on the other side and that's all that matters.
We are kinder to our animals, something does need to change but there needs to be VERY strict guidelines and multiple doctors involved in the decision, imagine the possible outcomes :-/
Happy birthday to your Gran, Becci. She must be heartbroken right now. I believe they'll be together on the other side too one day.

I agree completely that strict guidelines would have to be involved if self/assisted-euthanasia ever became legal here. I know doctors do all they can to help palliative care patients and going on a morphine driver seems to help speed things up from the cases I've known, but for those with locked-in syndrome, ALS and a whole plethora of other diseases, it would give them a semblance of control over the situation to be able to have a say when they've had enough. It's such an emotive subject and it would involve so many ethical, moral and religious objections, I do wonder if it will ever become a choice here.

Old 16-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #16
becciwales
Adult

The syringe drivers do speed things up usually, but not always.
Hopefully things will change and people will be able to decide. I can't imagine living like some do, it's like a living hell I'd imagine

Old 16-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
The syringe drivers do speed things up usually, but not always.
Hopefully things will change and people will be able to decide. I can't imagine living like some do, it's like a living hell I'd imagine
Absolutely dreadful to even imagine what their emotions must be like waking up each morning and knowing what they have to face.

Old 16-03-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
becciwales
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
Absolutely dreadful to even imagine what their emotions must be like waking up each morning and knowing what they have to face.
It doesn't bear thinking about does it? x

Old 16-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #19
emma_mcraf
Adult

Quote:
It doesn't bear thinking about does it? x
No, just awful for them and their families. We have so much to be thankful for as we never know what's around the corner. Make the most of life is my motto.

Old 17-03-2015, 06:50 PM   #20
becciwales
Adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma_mcraf View Post
No, just awful for them and their families. We have so much to be thankful for as we never know what's around the corner. Make the most of life is my motto.
Definitely! x