Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Closed Thread

Old 30-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #1
Dazza
Adult

Default Squirrels

The old lady a few doors down started feeding a squirrel, now the whole bloody family has moved in and they are every where - anyone know if they will do damage to my tortoises ??

I gues given half a chance they would run off with the small ones !!

dazza
Old 30-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I think there was a thread about this not so long ago Dazza, i will hunt it out.

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 30-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
Pussygalore
Adult

sure I'm not the old lady
Old 30-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Dazza
Adult

bless you sarah

i dont trust either - they are just so cocky they sit 8 ft from laughing

Mother in law was panicing last week as one was right by the open greenhouse door

anyone got a shot gun ?

dazza
Old 30-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #5
sarah
Administrator
Adult

I can't find it ahhhh

STRUGGLING TO FIND WEEDS? LOOK AT OUR DRIED WEEDS 'READY TO FEED'

Home of 'Grow Your Own Food' Bearded Dragon, Tortoise, Rabbit, Hamster seed mixes from 89p FREE POST
Livefood, Thermostats, Housing, Heating, Mercury Vapour bulbs, UVB etc etc CHEAP PRICES
TORTOISES ARE MY PASSION
Old 30-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #6
wildlifewarrior
Banned
Adult

Send a message via MSN to wildlifewarrior

air rifle for the job lol nah but i wud becareful as many grey squirells if they are greys are none being culled with using poisons, might not be the case with ur concil doing this but i wud befarefula su don't want ur tort eatting anyhting that has fallen up been contaminated with the squirells. if i remember correctly then they are classed as vermin and it is very much discouraged to feed them, might be worth mentioning this to the woman, also there are products that are called vermin off, it is a spray that discourages them from going to a area. don't no how good it is tho.
Old 30-10-2007, 12:22 PM   #7
egyptiandan64
Super Moderator
Adult

They could go after small hatchlings Darren. They do seem to go after a bit of protein every once in a while. I've seen them eating birds eggs and week old nestlings. So I wouldn't put it past them to go after a hatchling. I've never had any go after the adult tortoises and they even bury nuts in the pens.

Danny
Old 30-10-2007, 06:25 PM   #8
elliepom
Egg

Default Am i in the wrong place?

Funny I thought i might be on a forum that was full of like minded people, who liked animals.

The squirrels have more right to be here than our tortoises that we have decide to put in our garden.
Surely it is our job to protect them from cats, dogs, squirrels and birds of prey, not to think of ways to "get rid of " squirrels.
Live and let live guys, its autumn they are hungry and like many animals trying to find a way to make it thru the winter
Old 30-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
Laraine
Adult

Send a message via Yahoo to Laraine

You are right Sarah, they are non native, because of them there are now only a few safe haven for the native red squirrel.
I think the grey is now classed as vermin, the councils will intervene when they become a problem.

Laraine
Old 30-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
elliepom
Egg

strange as it might sound the grey squirrel did not introduce himself here, he was brought by man! Although it was once believed to drive the red squirrel out of habitat it appears that it is simply better able to take advantage of the red squirrels habitat. Wild boar, ruddy ducks, ring necked parakeets and many more have also been introduced.
I don't think its our job to decide whether there are too many, population census say the grey squirrel population is stable.

Next it will be birds of prey, a tortoises natural enemy, or perhaps cats and dogs.
We all love our torts, but get a bit of perspective. No one species has more right than another