Shelled Warriors Forums

Go Back   Shelled Warriors Forums > Off Topic > Other Animals

Old 09-09-2007, 11:47 PM   #11
wizzasmum

But surely there are some creatures that, no matter how much money or land you have, cannot be kept properly in captivity. I don't know - am just asking.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 AM   #12
chris_walton
Sub Adult

apparently there are some types of jelly fish and big sharks that cant be kept as its just impossible to recreate some things they get in the ocean

chris_walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:48 AM   #13
Raina

I just this anyone who is thinking on having a monkey/ape as a pet shouldnt even be allowed to keep an animal

all i can say is Shame On You if you have even thought about having one
Old 10-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #14
bruceleetortoise

Quote:
I just this anyone who is thinking on having a monkey/ape as a pet shouldnt even be allowed to keep an animal

all i can say is Shame On You if you have even thought about having one
well if you can say that then id say your kind of childish attitude says to me you shouldnt be keeping an animal.

ok first of all, tortoises are wild animals that cant be trained (same as monkeys), and most of the people on here have them in cages, be it outdoor or indoor, same thing with a monkey, if you can build a big enough or suitable enclosure then whats the problem!!

second of all i have to say i really cant be arsed with this kind of thing on this site, people bring up an innocent thread and get jumped on, ive seen it happen way too many times, all i said was id seen a private ad and wondered if they made good pets.

sometimes i even wonder if this site is worth it.........
Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #15
chris_walton
Sub Adult

i have thought about keeping marmosets and still would given half the chance they make extremly good pets given the correct husbandry and they are extremly rewarding but i agree they are not just for anyone as there a millions things that have to be taken into consideration but i dont see any problems with anyone keeping them if everything is correct in there husbandry guildlines but doesnt this apply to any animal kept in captive conditions

Old 10-09-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
Pussygalore
Adult

There are quite a few people that keep the more exotic such as armadillos, pygmy hedghogs, sugar gliders etc all of these a few years back would have never been considered as pets, I personally consider all of these as animals that should be either in the wild or in zoos but the law allows them to be kept so providing they are cared for properly then theres not a lot we can do about it, indeed keeping torts, rabbits, guinea pigs in inside enclosures could and is considered wrong by a lot of people ( including me), there will always be people that object to various animals being kept but the best we can hope for is that potential owners do the research before taking on any animal be it a dog or a monkey. may I also add that the person objecting the most had no qualms about photographing and handling rats of only a few minutes old which although may be considered ok and neccessary by some I still consider and wrong and intrusive.
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #17
chris_walton
Sub Adult

ann i totally agree with you

but i think the people that tarnish any animal keeping are allways the bad people that dont know what they are doing and these are allways the cases that stick in peoples minds and they forget about the people who really look after there animals and understand there needs and do a really goo job of looking after there pets

what most people dont understand aswell is most of the unusual pets that people keep are nearly all captive bred so dont know any other way of life apart from the surroundings they have allways lived in so it would be cruel in other ways to subject them to other harsher conditions

Old 10-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #18
SpanishD
Juvenile

capuchins are intelligent ... i think i read it somewhere

Daisy
SpanishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
Pussygalore
Adult

One thing I do think is that unless there already is that there should be a register of some kind of everyone who keeps anything other than the norm, so that maybe when these animals are dumped the owners can be tracable and made accountable, I don,t know which exotics are lisenced but think that they all should have that knid of protection including birds of prey which I don,t think are, they should all have to chipped and registered to their owner, we hear of all manner of creatures which have been found released because there owner has either gotten fed up, has gotten to big or become dangerous, surely if the law allows us to keep these animals then the law should also protect them through lisencing and home checks ect
Pussygalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM   #20
chris_walton
Sub Adult

ann these are already in place for some animals in the ways of art 10's and with dwal species you have to have home checks once a year by a vet and not all county councils allow people to keep certain animal species as most dwal species have to be approved by local councils